Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Paulson's Ashes

All this news is too damn depressing. Once, about two years ago, Walter told me to lighten up on my blog.

Too sad all the time, he said. It's like Angela's ashes.

I remember reading Angela's Ashes while pregnant with Zachary. I cried and cried. Can one more baby die? Yup. Another one bites the dust.

I feel like it's been Paulson's Ashes, over and over. Except he doesn't die, but keeps coming back in new, different forms of legislation guaranteed to screw average Americans. The latest bill is over 400 pages.

I'm not sure I can stomach reading it.

As a pause, I'm going to do a little bragging on my boys. Zachary. He's going to try out for All City Band. He plays a mean saxophone. He's also decided to try being a vegetarian. I told him to talk to his pediatrician at his next visit and then we'd discuss what it would mean.

You'll have to... you know... actually eat vegetables.

I know, he says, ready for the challenge.

I don't care if he makes the band or not. I love that he's trying.

Ben has successfully moved to the third floor, in his own, private room. He's the only one in the house with his own bathroom, too. And when I asked him to clean it the other day? He did. No sass, no back talk, no wandering around forgetting.

He's starting to catch himself just after saying something really obnoxious- wait... sorry. I remind him it's okay to THINK anything he wants. But he cannot SAY it.

Jake has started to mirror his parents. The other morning, he was up practicing the drums at 6AM. Jeanine used to practice- the drums and the piano- so much when she missed a couple days in a row, one of the neighbors stopped her and asked what was wrong.

Yes, drums are that loud.

While 6AM is way too early, I couldn't help but smile.

He's also started to clip coupons from the newspaper, just like Allan.

Do you buy this, Mom? He comes and shows me.

I've never been one to clip coupons. It seems now I have an in-house service.

There are serious issues we are facing as a country today. Not just an economic meltdown but social change. In California, the debate rages over marriage equality. Should everyone be able to get married or just a few? In Massachusetts, a ballot question that would eliminate the state income tax will be voted on- do we care about our government services or would we rather pony up, piece by piece?

Ballot questions cross the country, raising important issues, questioning us as a society: Where are we? What do we believe? Will we shift towards religion being incorporated into our government or will we embrace the separation of church and state?

It will be interesting to see.

Regardless of the vote tonight, I have three great kids. A beautiful wife and great family.Joy in the moment.

Not to mention a pile of coupons.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seda said...

Those celebrations are so cool, and so important! "Sustainable movements cultivate the power of joy." (I think it was Medea Benjamin who said that.)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Can one more baby die? Yup. Another one bites the dust.

Oh man, that was the most depressing book, ever! But like you, after reading it I have a profound sense of how fortunate I am and of all the "good" in my life.

And coupons are a very good thing right about now ...

7:49 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I noticed he cut out a couple for pop- nice try.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smart kid!

My store DOUBLES the coupon value!

Im starting to clip too!

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home