Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Price for this Life?

Strange day today. I have the appraiser coming over to go through all my sister's things and put a price tag on it for tax purposes.

Feels odd to have your whole life summed up in a number.

I was talking to her the other day. There is not a day that goes by where she is not in my thoughts. All the frustration over her complete disorganization has passed. I miss her sense of humor the most. The boys found a book light the other day that had the inscription, "The Light of the Lord" on it.

I don't miss the Lord stuff. I know it was a big part of her life at the end. I know it gave her comfort. Just don't miss having to listen to God's will and forcing myself not to roll my eyes.

Okay, I did roll my eyes. Often.

She really was the only person in my life who could make me laugh so hard I peed my pants. I miss that.

The other day I was asked a security question for my credit card. I had been buying things online and I never buy things, so they wanted to be sure it was me. They asked, "Who is the nearest relative to you?"

I froze. I realized I have no relatives. My wife is only considered my wife in Massachusetts- a stranger as far as the federal government is concerned. I said, Catherine Whitman.

It passed. But it made me feel so very alone.

Today I will see one way in which a life is measured. By things and the price of those things.

And I know my sister was worth much more than anyone will ever know.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sara Love,

The only way to mature successfully (not that you are not already mature!) is to accept and persevere through loss. We all lose, have to anticipate loss, and have to find new pathways to compensate for loss.

You will I know!

Love again!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

Cathy's worth can never be measired in dollars and cents, she was priceless!!!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cathy was one in a million. Please don't ever think of yourself as familyless. And I don't mean you know who. there are some kids here that think of you since the day they were born as aunt sara and a woman here who would have never made it this far without her little sister. Hugs and Love to you.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous melissa said...

I have not read your blog for a while. I used to read everyday, just to find out how she was doing. You are right, "Cathy" was worth more than her (moved all over the country too many times) stuff. I know you must miss her a lot. I know I do, and I only had her in my life a short time. If I was having a bad day, I could always call her....and she would tell me that it was okay. She was always able to make me feel like she cared, and I wasnt by myself. From what she has told me (and what I am learning myself) you are a wonderful person.....you will never be" alone" many people will be there for you, probably more than you even know.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Fresh Garden said...

Absolutely priceless!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

jainbin0926
fitflop clearance
true religion outlet
cheap uggs
michael kors outlet
nike free run
coach outlet clearance
beats by dre
chicago blackhawks
ugg sale
polo pas cher

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home