Thursday, March 06, 2008

(Not Silent) Retreat



It's a good thing I have my voice back because I spent the entire day yesterday talking.

And listening. And looking, clearly, at groovy graphics.

One of the things I do but rarely mention the blog is sit on the board of the Schott Foundation for Public Education. I believe, strongly, that without quality public education we cannot have a democracy.

Let me rephrase that- we do not have a democracy because we do not have consistent quality public education.

I was asked why I never write about it in the blog by some of the other board members. I guess it's because I didn't earn the position by being a stellar educator or a high level policy crafter, but because I knew the right people.

And I was a good friend.

After eight years, though, I am now someone who knows about pushing policy, creating change in educational funding streams and have enjoyed every minute of learning how along the way.

I will mention I was the ONLY one happy in the room yesterday as the sole Clinton supporter. When the gloom set across the table, I slowly raised my hand and said, Uh... I'm not sad.

I did not do a happy dance.

Well, I did in my head.

Yes, that is suppose to be my last name, I just have never gone through all the paperwork to have it changed. Note to self- get it done already.

Today is day two... which cannot start until I go out and hunt down a starbucks and get some real coffee.

What is it about the inability of a conference center/inn to not be able to make a decent cup of coffee?

And start another day of plotting to have New York and Massachusetts- and eventually the whole country- have quality public education for all.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

I'd be interested in reading more from you about this topic, and I bet others would, too.

As a former public school teacher in Maryland, I can say I wish there was a similar organization here. Maybe I would have stayed at it longer than 6 years. I can honestly say that teaching in the public schools was both the most rewarding and the hardest job I have ever done.

On behalf of public school teachers, I thank you and everyone invovled in this foundation.

11:00 AM  
Blogger s. said...

Change your name already. You will be surprised at how much difference it makes to you :-)

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home