Thursday, April 24, 2008

Day Off For the Sox



I had three tickets to the Red Sox game today and took Ben and Zachary with me.

The sun was out, the weather warm. A perfect day for baseball at Fenway Park. My friend Donald was there, too.



I love watching baseball. As a kid, it bored the hell out of me. But one of the best things Walter and Allan have added to my life is a true and deep love for the game. When we sit in DownEast and listen on the radio, all I think of is the four seats they have for ten games a year in the grandstand. How amazing it is to walk up the ramp to the seats and see the outfield so close you can smell the grass on a dewy night.

I will never forget the night Walter took me to a game, when I was still living in Upstate New York, miserable, desperate to come back but unable to make the final leap.

It was an April game, so the chill was in the air after a sunny day. The lights seemed brighter, the grass greener, and the sky a shocking purple as the sun faded. A draft beer in a plastic cup, a Fenway frank in hand, and the men I love the most seated all around me.

I knew after that night, I had to come home. I thought Rochester was my home. Sitting in Fenway that night in 2004, I understood deeply where my home was.

Fenway will always have a very special place in my heart. I know someday they will tear it down and build something modern. But for now, I'll love going to sit in our obstructed view seats, section seven, row 9, under the overhang. You have to lean a little to see the batter, especially the left handers.

And they are the most amazing seats in the house.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I think Fenway has survived demolition! Perhaps they will make it a point to remove one column every of season until they have no obstructions!

One can only hope!

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing like a warm afternoon sitting at a ballgame with frieds! makes all seem right with the world. was great seeing you and the boys. again, love the new happy you!! too bad the bullpen had to let us down. see you next thursday.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly understand the connection, and I'm soooo jealous. The only Red Sox I see here is Pawtucket. Watching the Mudhens and Bulls just isn't the same, even though the Indians have a great facility for a minor league team. Throw one back and spit on the field for me once. It's a gross tradition, but my grandfather told me it was necessary for a win.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

When people stomp does it feel like the place is going to come down?

It did in the House of Thrills (Forbes Field in Pittsburgh). God, I loved that.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

No, it doesn't feel like it's going to fall down, it feels like there is a jolt of electricity going through you.

It's still so small, in contemporary terms, you are as one with everyone.

with your knees in someone's back, someone's knees in your back, crammed into the most ridiculously small seats.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Sean would be so jealous. It was a perfect day for a game. It would be sad for them to knock it down. The green monster etc. are infamous. Not everything in this world needs to be upgraded and new.
ttfn

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home