Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Supreme Court

As we wonder about whether or not Obama's charisma is running out, or if Clinton can in fact win regardless of how much ground she is making up right now, I want to remind everyone of something bigger than Obama or Clinton.

The Supreme Court.

If McCain wins this election? The Supreme Court will be stacked with Roberts and Alito clones and we will lose the court for the rest of my lifetime.

I plan on living a long life, too.


When I think about that, I'm not sure I need to be right anymore, about Senator Clinton. When I think about that, I get really frightened for my children.

John Paul Stevens is 88 years old. Ruth Ginsburg 75 and already a one time cancer survivor. How much longer can they hang on?

The war in Iraq needs to end. The economy needs to be sent for emergency surgery. Health care, public education, jobs- the list goes on and on. We are in such a mess after 8 years of Bush, it's hard to know where to begin.

I honestly don't care about Reverend Wright and what he said. I think Clinton's gas tax relief is a lame attempt to garner votes.

The bitter campaign has to stop. The Obamatrons and the Clintonistas have to give it a rest, and yes, I am including myself in that.

Because in the not so distant future? The next president of the United States will be appointing at least one, if not several, new justices to the supreme court.

We should all be afraid, very afraid, of McCain's probable appointments.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog, you sure nailed it on the head. we need to be looking at the bigger picture and get away from the petty snipets. no matter who wins the democratic primary, all democrats and independants need to come together and make sure that mccain is not the next president. you are right on about the supreme court thing! productive rights, gay rights, minority rights, etc, could all be thrown under the bus if a repulican names even one more justice!
ps. thanks for the celtics game, it was great!! see you at the sox game tonight! aren't we sooooo butch!! LOL

11:04 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

And any sane person who saw the "60 Minutes" interview with Justice Scalia should be scared out of their mind!

Have fun at the Sox game tonight, you guys. Even though you've (temporarily) bumped the Orioles out of 1st place in the AL East ....

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Sara!

Something I blog about regularly actually - over here in RI!

My post recent plea for Democrats to make this connection is here (in the context of the Senate not passing the Ledbetter Act):

http://www.rifuture.org/showDiary.do?diaryId=2461

I know we disagree on who would be best for nominating these new Justices, but I have to think that a former Constitutional Law Professor would do a pretty good job!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Seda said...

You got that right. And I still think that Hillary Clinton would make a great Supreme Court Justice, and I'd love to see Obama nominate her! ;-)

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom Goldstein (www.scotusblog.com), knows just about everything going on with the Supreme Court and updates his blog everytime something new happens on the Court.

Last summer, he posted this about potential names for the High Court if a Democrat wins:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/the-democratic-not-so-short-list/

Interestingly, the MA Governor is on that list as well.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my God Sara! Hillary on the Supreme Court! The nuclear option...

I can see her now whipping that pantywaist Roberts into shape.

Love your post, Be Strong!

Robert Ganshorn

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home