Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Where Do We Live?

I don't want to chase the stars anymore. I just want to watch them. Especially when they streak across the sky with long trails of bright dust.

I came home early because Ben was home "sick" and Jeanine had to work late. With all the news of doom and gloom making its way to Downeast, it was time to come home.

I need to import the calm of Maine to my daily life. I'm working on it.

The financial turmoil scares me. When it all washes out, I'll still have a lot of money, property and promises to my kids education and future lives. That's the truth. But that I'm looking at a country that is almost foreign to me. I mean... they bailed out AIG? Why? Did they pay more in campaign contributions? Does anyone even care anymore to follow that paper trail? Why did those execs, in dying companies, still earn so much damn money?

Where are our values, as a country? Do we only care about moose burgers and lipstick?

It's easy to go to Maine and hide. No one is around to talk to you. I read the headlines of the papers when I got home and felt my head start to pound. All I can think is turmoil for the next few years with money going to blankets and care rather than advancing policy. Because you know we democrats can't have people starving on the streets.

The republicans can.

Where do we live, people? Where?

6 Comments:

Blogger Seda said...

We live in the Good Ol' USA.

Germans live in what used to be the Third Reich. Not that I'm making comparisons....

The fact that Republicans have no problem letting people starve in the street, along with their control of vast amounts of wealth, gives them a huge financial advantage.

Fortunately, there is no power greater than an indomitable will. Gandhi won without firing a shot or controlling any significant amount of wealth. Look at the changes that Martin Luther King made here.

I've stopped reading the paper, and watching the news, even reading Newsweek. It's all depressing crap. I gave up after years of watching every day for the arrest of Mr. Bush. It never happened. It won't happen.

But there is us.

I started doing yoga, and studying nonviolent resistance. I started doing things - blogging, sitting on committees, on the board of a non-profit.

It may not make any difference - but I sure FEEL a lot better!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Ellen de Bunchastu said...

The thing is, the republican party says that 'the government has failed' when it's really conservatism has failed. They want to instill cynicism, because when people are cynical, who's there to tell people that they aren't for big government?

The conservatives

-E.Bunchastu

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

over my life, i have kept getting closer to canada. only 40 miles away now! a republican win in nov, and i could make the last step! LOL

8:09 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, donald, as we discussed, the universal health care alone is worth it.

I read the papers, seda, but that's it. I don't watch the news. I can't stand it. and I sit on boards, and am trying to make a difference. slowly... little by little...

but if Obama does not win by a landslide this fall... I have to wonder what kind of country this really is- and do I want to be a part of it?

8:16 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I would like to think that most of us aren't as blind as the republicans think we are and I hope an awaking will occur and Obama will win by a landslide. Its scary to think people are so blind and would vote for someone determined to destroy the country.
ttfn

8:34 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

The polls sound a little more hopeful today ....

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home