Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Big Mouth vs. Courage

A friend told me the other day that I had courage. My writing took courage.

I said, no, I simply have a big mouth.

Maybe a big mouth, but it takes courage, too.

I remembered something I tell my children. Being brave, having courage, isn’t about not being afraid. Everyone is afraid sometimes. It’s about being afraid and not letting that stop you. Doing it anyway.

I write what I do to go through the pain. To stop dancing around the edges, instead taking steps straight into the fray. I am surprised when it touches people. I receive emails from people who say, thank you. Thank you for giving voice to how I feel.
I think I simply have a big mouth.

But for all my bravado, I am afraid when I go to post it.

But I do it anyway.

Maybe my friend is right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home