Friday, August 10, 2007

Spike Returns

Spike, the bat, was back this morning.

Jake named him last fall when he came down from his room and told me there was a bird flying around.

Not quite.

I woke up early this morning, trying to get a piece done for Huffington Post about the Presidential forum last night. The electricity was out, which means no Internet but more importantly, no coffee.

Still, I could work on my laptop. I walked downstairs, went to turn off the alarm and… Spike swooped over to say hello.

I ran back upstairs and woke up Jeanine because I do not do bats. Nor do I take care of or dispose of snakes, mice or spiders larger than my fingertip. I don’t care that I’m five feet ten inches tall and strong enough to lift a fifty-five pound seven year old over my head into the top bunk bed.

Jeanine, not a morning person, said, just shut the door, we’ll get it later.

Oh no. Get up NOW. There is a BAT flying around the HOUSE. NOW.

Jake was still asleep so I was doing the very firm whisper.

She finally did get up and there was Spike, happily circling our dog Beanie. After much confusion and me standing with a large blanket over my head doing… uh… pretty much nothing to help, the bat flew out the open door.

Jeanine raced to shut it as if the bat wanted back in. I don’t think so.

Now I have to get the bat guy back out here- not Batman as Jake has requested, rather just the bat guy who puts funny little traps on the places in your eves he thinks the bats are entering in- because you can’t kill a bat, they are a protected species. He then comes and checks to see if any have been caught.

Of course, the bat guy is very expensive. Which is why, last fall, when we only had one little bat at an odd time of year, we decided to hope it was a lost soul who would find better digs to hang in.

Maybe it was Spike. Maybe he does like it here. Or she. I have no idea how to tell a male bat from a female and I don’t want to know.

It was one of those starts to a day you know means trouble. Sometimes, when faced with that much adversity, you fight through it. Sometimes you need to surrender.

I crawled back in bed and surrendered.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im not a spider or bee person....but Im ok with everthing else!

If Deb saw a bat, she would have screamed bloody murder and woke up the whole house!

I applaud your restraint!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I've been lurking since July after finding you on Family Pride. I have to say, this made me laugh out loud(and I'm at work!!) I, too, am 5'10" and somewhat soft butch...I would definitely be right under that blanket with you!! Why is that tall girls are seen as brave girls?!?!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

because everyone ASSUMES tall girls are butch.

sure, butch in the streets but...

you know the rest of the saying.

One time I almost stepped on a snake who was peacefully basking in the sun on the front step. My kids still laugh about how loud I shrieked.

and I shrieked. not screamed, but a high pitched shriek.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home