Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Exorcism, Part I

Christmas was always about my mother. I’m furious that it still is- she's been dead over a year.

I'm chasing a ghost's love. My mother is dead. And still, when the image of a mother holding a child is shown, about 8 million times a second this holiday season, all I think of is my mother holding me.

Or, in reality, not holding me.

I find it amazing that even after twenty years, twenty years spent in healthy, positive celebrations, I hate Christmas. I hate it more than any other time of the year. It brings me back to being a little girl pulling out the china, and polishing the silver. How I would set an elegant table, arranging the greens with ancient holiday decorations pulled from an old chest in the basement. The napkins would be folded carefully, my small hands pressing out any lumps or creases.

When will I ever get this monkey off my back? All the dreams, hopes and memories of Christmas, that mock me every year, taunt me into a stupor when now I have my own family, my own children to celebrate?

I want someone to shake holy water on me or chant Gaelic phrases until my brain is finally clear of old longings. I want to sit with my family- my children, my wife, my kids dads, my friends- around a beautifully decorated table, laugh, and tell stories. I want love to fill my home without the old shadows. I am loved and celebrated in my family. My kids are fairly normal and healthy. I have good friends who know me and still love me even though I send too many emails, whine too often about my wife's work schedule.

I look at my family of origin and it's not exactly a Norman Rockwell painting. It’s not even a Budweiser commercial: my father a paranoid schizophrenic, my mother an alcoholic of prolific proportions. My father sexually abused my sister and me and there is another sibling who will sue my ass off if I mention anything specific about them.

Family love. I have had it hurt so deeply I wanted to die. My father's creepy insistence I get into the bathtub at his apartment while he watched etched noises he made into my mind that cannot be scrubbed away. Being held face down to carpets long enough to have imprints on my face and smells of feet, dog pee and mold forever in my nose until I cried out in humiliation are gifts I received from my family.

Thanks.

But there is my family love. My kids. My beautiful boys who believe they can be rock stars, or inventors, or scientists. My wife who drives me nuts on a daily basis and still makes me smile when she puts her icy feet on me in the middle of the night. Walter and Allan, who eagerly signed on to be the kids dads even though there would be no legal recognition and every single person they meet would feel free to ask, "But are they really yours?"

That's my family. Not the past ghosts. Not my mother. Out, out! I want to scream. Leave me alone!

I wanted something beautiful. I wanted my family to love each other. Mostly, I wanted my mother to be happy. And to hold me. Not because of what I saw on advertisements or television shows but because my very core depended on it. Abandoned by my birthmother, I could not risk being anything less than loveable.

My mother adopted three children from three different birthmothers, all disgraced by society for being pregnant without rings of at least promise and handing over their newborn infants to complete strangers. Three children with empty holes for early memories, filled with fear. If we could be given up once, we could be given up again.

The table would be set, the gold leaf bone china an elegant off white, sparking in the candlelight. Every year I would set it on Christmas Eve, ready for the next day. Every year, from the time I was very small to the time I finally left home.

In perfect synch, my mother would get drunk on Christmas Eve. As my table would wait for the promise of laughter, celebration and cheers, my mother would pour another bourbon and water. She would cry and tell us with slurred, elegant words about how much she loved us, what a failure as a parent she was. We would all sit, terrified she'd turn, never knowing what we could do to make it all right. To have her feel loved so she would not be so sad.

It was the only time of the year she ever said anything kind about my father. She would acknowledge, only for a brief moment, there was a time he was a kind and gentle person. Before he was sick. Before the voices in his head took over and instructed him to do horrible things. She needed us to know she would not have married such a broken, twisted man.

We would go off to bed, finally, when she had enough liquor, when her tears were dried. She would playfully remind us no presents until the first cup of coffee was made, and we would all run to bed, giggling, as if we believed in Santa Claus.

I fell asleep every Christmas Eve filled with hope. I hoped when my father showed up in the morning, he would not fight with my mother. I hoped my mother would not find reason to hate him again until the end of the day. I hoped we would all sit around the table and love each other. At least for the day.

We never did. By morning, my mother would be spitting fire before my father even walked in the door. He was always late, always brought snow in the house on his shoes, always had something disgusting stuck in his moustache.

It was clear no family love was going to happen before the first cup of coffee was finished. But I still had my mother to please.

I would plaster a smile on my face and be the master of ceremonies, crawling under the tree, handing out gifts to everyone. I would refill coffee cups for both my parents, I would ooo and ahh over even the most ridiculous gifts. I smiled even when my father would buy little girl gifts for me that made my skin crawl.

And then my moment would finally come. We would sit around the table, my father would say a blessing as was required when he was at the head. For a brief moment, I would squeeze my eyes shut and pray.

Please. Please let Mom be happy.

Every year.

She never was.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Sis....I know you can't read this till you get back, but hopefully there will be enough comments made here to knock some of the rocks out of that hard head of yours....that said with all the love in the world of course....

It is this simple....let the past go...it is gone....you cannot change it....WHAT GOOD reliving it, rehashing it, whatever does it do?!?!

It will never change till you make a concious decision that it IS TIME to change the messages in your head!

You have SO much to be grateful for and SO MANY great memories and your making one right now! Dwell on that. Dwell on what can make you smile.

Life is only as good as you make it and it makes me so sad that you can't let this go.

I'll make a deal with you. You figure out how to change the past and I will rehash every little dirty secret that used to paralyze me right here for everyone to see! Promise!!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Sara- wow. I hate Christmas as much as you and for many of the same type reasons.
And I have a brother who constantly says, "Let it go."
I try to tell him that just because we grew up together in the same house, our experiences were vastly different and how we processed those experiences were vastly different.
He doesn't understand.
Our mother is still alive and lives twenty miles from me.
He, ironically, moved as far away from where we are as you can possibly get and still be in the continental United States. We're in Florida, he's got his back to the Pacific, ten miles south of Canada.
I think that says a lot.
And I will struggle with Christmas and with my mother for as long as I live. It is one of the greatest sorrows in my life.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

And let me add- I think you are brilliant to get away for Christmas. Brilliant.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I tell you I still think my idea of a drug induced coma from the day after thanksgiving to the 2nd of January would make a great business venture. You are not alone.
Hope your trip was relaxing and ghost free.
love ya
ttfn

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i could just click my fingers and make all the pain of the past go away for you, but that won't happen. but do make the best of the times with your wonderful family. make sure not one of the kids ever says "geeze, if mom could have just gotten over the things with grandma, wouldn't we have had such wonderful times together!" move on as best you can, do it for them.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Comment Donald!!

You can no way get over it with a snap of a finger, it can take a long time, and alot of work.

But as long as you dwell on it you aren't moving forward and it is SO important for the others in our lives that we try to get past it

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home