Saturday, February 02, 2008

Party Preparations

Every year, we have a Superbowl party. Fifty women, men and children.

Last year, faced with the defeat of our beloved Patriots, we played dress up. Everyone came as a superhero of some sort.

Yes, that's a link so you don't even have to go scrolling through the archives.

Jeanine and I do love to have a party. My sister said to me yesterday, you all will use any reason to have a party. Dress up. Goof around.

Yup.

Another friend asked me, How many times a week do you all have people over?

Um... on average, twice a week?

I had mentioned some might be coming with body paint. Hey, it's the Patriots, history on the line. No superheros, just Patriots garb. I almost bought jersey's for the dogs.

Oh, yes, Heidi, we're going to get some face paint, too.

Which reminds me, I must buy some tissues for my friend Tibbetts. A life long Giants fan, I know she's going to be crying tomorrow night.

Cleaning, shopping and cooking today. Enchiladas, munchies, and Walter's famous ribs. Wine, beer and Margaritas- Aunt Diane's special recipe.

Red, white and blue carnations. Yeah, right. Fat chance a carnation ever gets through my front door.

Everyone brings food. The living room is rearranged into stadium seating for the adults. The kids get the back room. An extra flat screen is brought into the dining room so no one getting food misses a play.

Or a commercial. Allan requires silence during commercials. Sometimes, it's the best part of the game.

At halftime, most parents with small children leave. The die hards stay on to watch to the bitter end.

My boys know the routine. Ben said to me last night, So you'll be hyper tomorrow and REALLY hyper by Sunday.

Pretty much, I agreed. I love getting ready. I love putting the food in dishes, arranging the tables, thinking about how all the flavors will work together. What kind of wine? A Syrah to stand spice to spice with the ribs? A rustic Chianti, full of it's own loud fruit and tannins? Or a Chateauneuf-du-Pape that will have both?

Oh, yeah, and I guess I have to buy some white wine, too.

I do love having parties. My sister is right. Any reason, any time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Friends of ours always put a small portable T.V. in the bathroom so no one will miss any of the game. Or the commercials.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

THE BATHROOM!!

I'll get Jeanine on it pronto.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Morgan said...

The general sentiment in this town is cheering for any team playing against the Patriots. Sore losers here. Personally, give me a Chambourcin and the boys of summer... Go Soxs! AND agree, any excuse for a party.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

ah, Morgan... don't hate us because we're beautiful.

of course, I grew up hating the Cowboys because they always won. Hated them.

Now everyone looks at my beloved Patriots the same way.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Morgan said...

Yes, I was born and raised in Texas and went through that stupid "Cowboys are America's team". Brady is beautiful..saw him through a couple of seasons; best quarterback, I believe, of all time. I can't announce that today during our superbowl party, I'll be run out on a rail. Coach is another thing though...played too many sports growing up and coached too many teams. I have some issues with Bela"Cheat".

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Allen. That's my kind of guy. Shut up during the commercials - it's the best part! LOL

(Okay - so I just never understand the damn rules. It's the only game that takes an hour but lasts like 8!)

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home