Friday, April 25, 2008

Vacation Week

Did I mention this is vacation week for the kids? That's why we were at the Red Sox in the middle of the day yesterday, although I have been known to take one or two of them out of school to go.

In this city, you take your kid out for the Sox, everyone nods their head and encourages you to have a great time. Take your kid out a day early to get out of town before the vacation rush? You get the long look and admonishment that school is far more important than avoiding being stuck on the Mass Pike for 18 hours.

Today, I had arranged for a bunch of appointments- dentist, doctor- all stuff that needs to be done that I'd rather not take them out of school to do. While Ben was in one appointment, Jake and I scoured the South End for a good slice of pizza.



We found one.

The sun was out and we wandered around, going from stoop to stoop, sitting in the sun. At one point, he wanted to ride on my shoulders and I have to admit, I can't heave him up there anymore. Not only is it the clean lift of 70 pounds of squirmy boy up over my head, it's the 70 pounds sitting there.

He's too big and I am starting to accept there are things I can no longer physically do anymore.

I haven't had a chance to read all the blogs, newspapers, yet today. I did glance at the Wall Street Journal earlier to read that even after a 79% pay cut, the CEO of Countryside still made 10.8 million bucks.

Then sold his company to Bank of America because it was going in the toilet.

Nice, huh?

The War, however, made it's way to the front pages of the NYTimes, WSJ, and Boston Globe. While some moron who oversees a company that extended credit to high risk applicants all in the name of profit at any cost makes 10.8 million (did I mention the 121 Million in exercised stock options, too?), we are still at war.

Ben Bernanke can cut interest rates as much as he wants, as often as he can, and as long as we are still at war spending 12 Billion dollars a month it will make no difference.

It's the war, people. We can't afford it. Just like those folks who signed mortgages who could never pay the ballooning interest rate with their salaries, we cannot afford this war.

People are worried the fighting between Clinton and Obama is damaging the Democrats ability to win the election in November. One look at the war that Johnny Prozac McCain wants to keep going for 100 years and I know there is no way he will win.

No way.

Our economy is tanking, we are spending money faster than we can print it, and the War continues to spiral out of control. We have to look at the reality of the budget sheet the same way we do the VISA bill when it comes in the mail.

Even on school vacation week.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Seda said...

You are so right we can't afford this war, but I hope you're right the election, too! Seems to me, though, that the MSM (mainstream media) is owned by the same folks who make the biggest profit off the war. I have little confidence that the majority of Americans can see through the media obfuscation to discern our obvious best interests.
And then we've got the Commander-in-Thief, who will be richly rewarded for his part in driving this country into bankruptcy.
*sigh*

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have great travel/vacation blog !!!

Find vacation rentals in worldwide directory
HolidayHomes.ca cabins to rent
Thank you!!!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha i am new on here. I hit upon this forum I find It absolutely accessible & it has helped me alot. I should be able to give something back & support other people like it has helped me.

Cheers, See You Around.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya i am new on here. I stumbled upon this site I have found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me alot. I hope to contribute and assist other people like it has helped me.

Thanks a load, See You About.

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i am new to this. I came accross this forum I have found It absolutely useful and its helped me a lot. I hope to give something back & assist other users like it has helped me.

Cheers all, See Ya Around.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello im new to this. I came upon this message board I find It positively useful and its helped me out so much. I should be able to give something back & aid others like its helped me.

Thanks, See You Later

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home