Monday, April 14, 2008

What to Do...



Oh, great. Now what am I going to do?

I spent all weekend talking to Zachary about how important it was for us to continue our role as "foster" cat people. To take in cats and then when a good home was found, to send them out.

Our two rescued cats are 15. They were in a shelter, miserable, listless, not eating or drinking. They hung limp when you picked them up.

As you can see, progress has been made.

When you get an older animal, you have no idea what they like to eat, what their habits are, good or bad. Having to syringe feed both water and chicken broth until they finally started to show some interest in life again was difficult and rewarding.

Last week, I woke up to Charlotte Rose sitting on my chest with the above pictured toy mouse. She wanted to play fetch.

The other cat, Darcy, who we call Fatty Kitty because Darcy just does not fit her personality to date, hides most of the day. She comes out at night to snuggle with the dog and to yowl for sliced turkey.

Not cat food. Not even wet cat food. Sliced turkey, please, and GET IT NOW.

I don't have a picture of her because she's rather camera shy.

Charlotte is like a dog, she follows me around most the day. Fatty is... well... fat and purrs so loud you can hear her across the room.

After I finally talked Zachary into giving up these cats, as he has been the one to really help me with them, I walked into my bedroom today to find Charlotte like this. While Fatty hides in the basement, Charlotte crawls under the covers. But to find her with the mouse...

Who is going to explain to ME that it's best to move these cats along to a new home?

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Suzy said...

Duh they have found a home no explanation needed. From one animal sucker to another thats why I could never do "foster care" or raise animals for sale or meat the barn would be brusting with even more animals I cant afford lol.
The picture was too cute the cat has your number.
ttfn

5:54 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

what suzy said, the cat has your number

totally.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I would never be able to give them up......Deb refuses to let me foster animals - IF I was "allowed" Im sure we'd have a farm by now!

You arent going to give them up - are you? *Sob*

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you should keep these two. they sound like they feel at home.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

there is the cat drinking from my glass of water on the bedside table in the middle of the night issue...

that's not cute.

I have to talk to the wife. She's not much of a cat person.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Misgrace said...

yup... looks to me like you've been adopted ;-).

9:38 PM  
Blogger m. cacioppo said...

what a cutie!

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I had the same "issue" with mine! Every night I bring a glass of water to bed - every night he would feel free to indulge.

So now I just bring him his own glass!

Simple!

KEEP THEM!

They OBVIOUSLY love you!

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you told me saturday that they were going. you big softy!! i knew you couldn't do it if you became attached.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is probably the cutest kitty picture i have seen. ever.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Linda-Sama said...

light and blessings to you for being a foster cat mama! I have 3 cats (one is a diabetic) and they are the most spoiled cats in the world....:)

12:33 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

jeanine says I have to give them up...

Yuh. I just keep pulling up this picture.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Pray for allergies?

And for god's sake don't foster a calico. Iirc most folks aren't allergic to them.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

And besides, the sounds of the cat drinking your water are really cute.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home