Friday, April 11, 2008

Update on Day of Silence

I spoke with the teachers and they are very excited to have Zachary do this and want me to come in and explain to the class what Zachary is doing and why. They asked that Zachary wait till the Friday following vacation week so parental notification fliers can be sent out.

The reality even in as progressive a school district as Newton, MA, is that one of the only things that require notification is discussion of gay families.

I said I'd ask Zachary. The national day falls on a day when they are all on vacation. Could he wait until the week after?

He agreed. I explained that I would come in and talk to his class. He nodded seriously, Sounds good.

I'm watching my son who was so shy at one point, he didn't say a word when his bus driver didn't stop at his house and drove him to the depot, parked and left without checking the seats. A boy we held back from starting kindergarten because he wouldn't ask a teacher out loud for more snack or raise his hand during morning circle. A boy who would hide behind me when relatives came to visit, taking so long to speak up his older cousin would ask, Where's the little one?

A silent protest fits him well.

Proud? More than proud.

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Bob said...

What wonderful people your kids are becoming! How I envy you watching them grow and growing with them.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I can't even imagine how proud you must be. Heck, MY heart is bursting with pride for him!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

yes you should be proud as punch of that quiet charming son of yours. I have to admit I just had to Google to find out about this day of silence because I had never heard about it before. It sounds like a powerful tool to make people heard, no pun intended. I asked my two older kids about it and they said they participated in it last year. I guess I have more waking up to do. Thank you for inspiring me to dig deeper into the issues that are your life. Just by being more aware of what is said and even shown on tv it does have to be scary with the subtle and not so subtle hate out there.
Love ya all lots and soooo proud of Zach he is a strong young man.
ttfn

11:47 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I would be proud of my son and pretty disappointed with the school. The school is supposed to be the educators and if they need permission from parents who are not yet educated, how is that helpful? I am in the midst of getting my school to recognize my transgender daughter as the girl's name she's chosen, and they are supportive, but dragging their feet...

8:31 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

I would be proud of my son and pretty disappointed with the school. The school is supposed to be the educators and if they need permission from parents who are not yet educated, how is that helpful? I am in the midst of getting my school to recognize my transgender daughter as the girl's name she's chosen, and they are supportive, but dragging their feet...

8:31 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

hey, meg, the reality is the pretty much the only thing you need permission to talk in the classroom about is gay families.

yup. nice, huh?

the teachers are following the rules. I can promise the principal will get behind this because if she doesn't... I have a really supportive group of parents there.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Seda said...

When I read that, I felt such hope, and gratitude to Zachary for his action, and you, for your support - you two are building the community, the safe culture I want to live in. Thank you.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

WorldNet Daily (sorry, WorldNut Daily, no link for you) has an article by Chuck Norris that says the reason for violence in schools is...

evolution.

That's not the real Chuck Norris. That's just some washed up old actor.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home