Friday, May 23, 2008

Resource Rich but Limited Access

I'm in DownEast Maine today. I apologize for missing my post yesterday. I was working on a longer piece but I also find myself in a zone of slow up here.

The natural resources around me are stunning. The ocean, the trees, the mountain in the distance, not to mention the small island across the cove I've set my sights on swimming to this summer, fill me up with a quiet joy.

I have limited access to power, though, and internet connection. I used it last night to check on the Celtics score.

What a waste of power.

Donald was here helping Allan and I get everything set up. Okay, that's a stretch- Donald was setting everything up while Allan and I watched.

Okay, even that's a stretch. Allan watched, I went in the kitchen and made snacks and dinner. Kept the fire stoked. Being the dainty woman I am, I didn't want to break a nail.

Actually, I did hook up the solar panel to the batteries. It was such a butch moment, I had to go recover in the kitchen.

The water isn't quiet working, so Donald taunted Allan and I with hot showers, heat and unlimited wifi at his house. It wasn't easy but Allan and I stayed.

A million projects to do around this old house and not a single one can pry me from watching the tide come in right now. I'm looking for the eagle from last year that nests on the island across the way, to see if the baby loons from last year have stayed, to watch the kingfisher dive for fish.

I'm quite busy.

The kids and Jeanine are on their way. Except for Ben who gets to go with his best friend to Provincetown for the weekend.

It is beautiful here. So rich in so much.

Even if the hot showers aren't working.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

Enjoy.

*sigh*

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like heaven!

enjoy

11:45 AM  
Blogger Misgrace said...

the loons mention reminded me of Kate Hepburn in On Golden Pond: oh Norman, the loons! It sounds wonderful.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

@lula, that's what our Sara will be like in a few years.

In the meantime,

We need more philosophers. Preferably ones with capes. - Hayley Webster.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Seda said...

Showers or not, it sounds wonderful. (cliche!) Have a great time. (The internet is overrated, anyway...)

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home