Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Countdown Begins

In eight days, I leave for my two week solo vacation. Well, I am taking the dog so almost solo. I have had a few folks say, you'll never make it.

I say, as long as I don't have to empty the compost toilet, I'll be fine.

Fishing gear, new telephoto lens. Lots of wool socks. Wine glasses I have been meaning to take for a year- I don't care if we're drinking two buck chuck, you still need a proper glass.

Wicks, lamp oil, long underwear. It'll be in the thirties, low forties at night. I've looked forward to this for so long I can't quite believe it's coming up. I did have a small anxiety attack about the axe murderer who would be wandering around and a friend said, oh, not during mud season. I mean, really.

True.

I am worried I will miss my kids and bag the trip after a week. I picked two because I knew I wanted to get on the other side of that.

It doesn't help to have a small betting pool going on re:when will Sara come home.

Jeanine... I will miss Jeanine but there is something rock solid about our relationship right now. I have no even remote interest in anyone else, or changing what we have now- I'm certain she feels the same.

Muck boots, a bright baseball hat, the new hammock. Not that it will be warm enough to hang out on the hammock, but one can hope.

Few more days. Plenty to keep me very busy before hitting the road. I'm not sure what I am looking for in this solitude. I do know I'm looking. I want to spend a day without speaking to see how it feels. My kids say I cannot possibly do that. I yammer on- and Walter, too- and can chat with pretty much anyone.

A writing teacher once said to me, writers will do anything to avoid writing. Talking to friends is the number one downfall of a good novel being done in a timely fashion.

She was right.

I plan on picking fresh mussels and taking the time to cook a great dinner for myself- something I used to do a long long time ago. Now, whenever I get the chance not to cook, I am happy with a bowl of cereal.

Eight more days.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I am SO excited for you. A dream! Yes, you'll miss your family but you'll be with yourself and that is good.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I am very curious to see what I come out with... perhaps just a lot of damp clothes (it's fog season).

But I think something is going to click.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

i will give you all the space you need, but you know i am just a phone call away. and give me a break, you make it sound like you are going off to the middle of nowhere. i live here year round you know and i haven't started talking to myself yet! oh wait minute, yes i do!!

going over tomorrow and taking off the shutters and setting up the pump and turning on the water. Hoping the road has been raked!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

they said they were going to rake the road before may 1st (got my ripley newsletter, ya know)

it is the middle of nowhere but yes, I know you are just a peninsula away, donald.

just don't STARTLE me!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

don't forget to drink the rain!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

will there be no post for 2 weeks? :(

3:54 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

enjoy :)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home