Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Years...

I started to talk about menopause at dinner Sunday night.

Allan said, I don’t believe this is dinner table conversation.

What? What? Ben asked.

Walter said to Ben, You don’t ever have to worry about it.

He will if he marries a woman! I growled.

I guess he does because he’s living with YOU, Walter retorted.

Every morning I wake up and think, maybe today.

Nope.

The song “Seasons of Love” from Rent comes to mind,

“Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?”


Okay, it hasn’t been a year.

Feels like it.

I keep reading online different pieces about perimenopause. Sleep disruption, anxiety, irregular periods, heavy bleeding, hot flashes, headaches, dry eyes, hair loss, and weight gain, or extreme emotional distress… and then the chipper article goes on to say, don’t you worry about a thing. It’s just common signs of perimenopause.

I’m not worried. I’m bordering on psychotic. At least I’m not losing my hair.

Yet.

The article goes on to say many women are “terrified” but the thought they will never again be able to have a baby.

None of them have three boys.

A friend teased, You must be pregnant! after I told her I hadn’t had my period in a million years.

Then I’m giving birth to the next or first, savior. Forget the myrrh; just take me to a soft, white room. And lock the door.

I complained to another friend that I’ve gained ten pounds in the last couple months. She said, you aren’t going to need tampons, Sara, you’re going to need Depends if you get your period again.

Or a pile of moss and a separate tent.

My cheerful article, “Information, signs and symptoms of perimenopause” by Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN NP ends with the encouragement “The joys of life after menopause are many and great — you just have to learn how to manage the symptoms leading up to it!”

Yuh.

Believe that and I have a bridge to sell you…

2 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline said...

I'm enjoying your blog, but just wanted to say thanks for the Marcelle Pick recommendation. It's nice that an article on menopause ends on such a cheery note, isn't it? Here is the link to the full article: Perimenopause — the beginning of hormonal change

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home