Friday, March 23, 2007

Food

Okay, New York City is amazing on a lot of levels, but my favorite?

Food.

I love the food.

I took pictures of my dinner last night. The waiter asked if we wanted a picture of us.

We both looked at him. Why?

I shook my head, no. It’s all about the food.

Oysters- big grassy ones from Long Island and ones from Washington State that are like the ocean in a small mouthful.




We moved on to a foie gras paired with a glass of d’Yquem, a sauterne wine that is… liquid gold.

Pretty much full at this point, we moved on to the main course- a dry aged rib eye steak and handmade raviolis stuffed with veal.



Yes, I care about the human treatment of veal… I mean, baby cows. It’s one of those moments when I am a bad person not living up to my ideals.

Could be much worse.

We finished with cheese. Once at a restaurant, we were asked if we wanted chocolate or cheese. It was a prefix meal and it was our last choice.

Are you kidding? Jeanine asked. Cheese, of course.

We heard the table next to us. Are you kidding? Chocolate!

We realize we are unusual diners. Bringing cameras in to photograph the food. Ordering a glass of rare, outrageous wine to be paired with a single dish. And ending the meal with cheese. The waiter brought over a brand new copy of the Zagats guide for us.

We get a bunch of them, he explained. I thought you might like it.

I have never had a waiter leave me with a gift before.

I love this city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home