Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ultimate in Cool

Ben walked out of school today, looking like he’d lost his best friend.

What’s up? I asked. Tonight’s the big night!

Yeah, and I’m going to miss it, he sighed.

Ben is going to a concert tonight- Gwen Stefani, Akon and Lady Sovereign with a good pal of his. They’ve been talking about it for months. At times, shrieking loudly about it.

Miss what?? I asked.

The American Idol party. Heavy sigh. [Girl] invited me. All the popular kids will be there. Heavier sigh.

He almost got me. I remember wanting to be invited to the popular kids parties. How important it was to feel like you were good enough. You weren’t a geek. You were cool.

Almost but… he’s eleven and he’s going to an adult concert. Hello? Does that not define cool?

Ben, I said, did you tell her why you can’t go?

No.

You didn’t tell her you scored tickets to see Gwen Stefani?

No.

Okay, I’ll call her.

MOM.

Seriously, I’ve known her since she was two. I’m gonna tell her why you’re not coming.

MOM.

Okay, I won’t but Ben? Concert compared to a television show?

He walked ahead, head hung low.

Tonight? Gwen performed a song for American Idol, live. Ben was there at the Tweeter Center.

Maybe I’m just old but if that’s not the ultimate in cool… I don’t know what cool is.

Never mind. I am too old. I hope he had a great time.

6 Comments:

Blogger John said...

You will never be cool again, ever.

Even if they tell you today what is cool, tomorrow it will change.

It is a moving targt.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Akon was abusing a 15 year old girl on stage? I would never allow my money to be spent on an abuser like him,

12:09 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

No, I did not. In fact, Walter called the next day and said he read the Akon had a lawsuit against him and seriously toned down his act in Boston.

We were unaware. If we had been, Ben would have been going to the American Idol party instead.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, you should stay out of the liberal blogs and go to the conservative ones, they are the blogs that tell us the real deal.

http://www.michellemalkin.com/archives/007446.htm

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the Boston concert with another parent and actually we both commented on how "clean" the concert was. I was actually surprised at that! Now I know why! I had no idea the background behind Akon, I went for Gwen and I knew she would be relatively clean.... kind of like the old days where you went to the innocous "Disney" movie and had to sit through the war propaganda news reel beforehand...

12:41 PM  
Blogger TanyaB said...

That Michelle Malkin site is completely unreadable. I have no idea what she's trying to say, only the vaguest idea that it's about this Akon guy.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home