Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Birds and Bees

Uh oh.

Big facts of life discussion on the beach today. I wasn't there.

Phew.

The older two boys, Ben and Zachary, cornered Walter and asked a lot of questions.

A lot.

I love his answers, he did very well. I have always stuck to the easier, more routine answers. They pushed for more from him and he handled it beautifully.

These boys, going on twelve and ten, are curious. They now have real information, not playground references.

Yesterday, Ben wanted to get a new Webkinz. Today, he wanted to know what masturbation was, why someone would do it and what it meant.

I’d rather do the Webkinz.

It’s not that I’m ashamed or embarrassed by the conversation… nope. That’s a lie. I am. I have no idea how to answer a boy. If a girl asked me, I could deal. I am completely clueless about boys and their anatomy except for what I’ve read in books.

I am so grateful they have someone safe to ask. Walter stressed over and over again, everyone changes at different speeds and no one should ever feel like they have to do anything, ever.

I like that answer, I told him. Never is good.

I don’t mean that, either. Of course I want them to have full lives. I just don’t want to know about some parts of those full lives.

Ever.

Margaret was right the other day. My boys are getting older Ben is going into middle school. Zachary is confident enough to ask to go to overnight camp- for a month.

At least Jake still plays with legos and snuggles up to have a book read to him. I know it’s not for long. I no longer call him “Jakey” or refer to him as my baby. It’s not easy but I know it’s time for that change, too.

I’m not ready for this.

I’m completely ready for this.

And I’m so glad it was Walter, not me, today getting grilled.

Because otherwise, we’d have about ten new Webkinz in the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home