Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Costa Rica

Still too much to sit and write in a single day.

But some pictures are ready...

We stayed at the Yellow Coco Lodge.



It was beautiful. Small, the twenty of us took it over and another bungalow next door, too.



The Main house is like a tree fort- the bedrooms are at the bottom but the kitchen and living area are on top, overlooking the trees, and the ocean. The kitchen was fabulous, designed to be able to cook in it, and the space comfortable for us all to gather in.



And gather we did. Often.



We ate in. We ate out. We drank margaritas, mango daiquiris, Imperial Cerveza (the beer of Costa Rica), gin and tonics and some not so good wine. Not so bad, but not so good.



I really wish I liked tequila or rum but I don't. My friend Libby can explain why I don't like tequila anymore- college memory still strong- and rum is just too sweet. But they were enjoyed and it didn't matter much because there was the food...



We had lunch at The Palms, in Puerta Jimenez, one day. The flautas, above, were exceptional. Crispy, great guacamole, and salsa. But the Tortilla Soup was above and beyond one of the best I've ever had.



Served with chunks of avocado on top, the soup had to have been made at least the day before, the spices, heat, and earthy cilantro all gathered together in amazing harmony. It was about 100 degrees that day and we had just stepped off a boat, scorched by the sun. The heat of the soup made me feel cool inside.

I loved the Corona served with a lime in it and rolled in salt around the mouth of the bottle. This is why you sleep after lunch, I believe. You cannot have just one...



The town is small and the roads are all dirt. Trucks, motorcycles and cars barely ever get out of second gear. The fastest mode of transportation is irrelevent. No one goes anywhere fast.

Ever.



But no one wants to, either. The national slogan is Pura Vida- Good Life. It means to be relaxed and enjoy. No hurry. No worry.



With the heat, humidity and the idea of air conditioning a silly joke, you do slow down.

And it feels so good.

Yes, there's more, much more...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is no fair. I am sitting under a mountain of snow here and I desperately want to be somewhere warm!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photo of the boat - def my fav thus far

j

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SO need a vacation (even though I just got back from Florida in December).

But you see - I was SUPPOSED to be a professional vacation-er.....

something went SO wrong in my life - I swear.....dammit

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home