Saturday, March 08, 2008

A Moment, Please, To Remember

I had a reminder this morning, of why I care so much about who gets elected this fall. Why I care so much about the political landscape of this country.

Because I care deeply what kind of world my kids are growing up in. What kind of country they are growing up in.

This morning, it was reported by the LA Times, that Larry King had responded to the taunts of teasing by his male classmates by flirting with them.

Not only did this kid have the guts to go to school dressed in a way that displayed pride in the face of serious adversity, he fought back with the only thing he had- himself.

He was the kind of kid I’d love to know. Someone brash, and loud, and unafraid to take whatever gets thrown his way. It is familiar to me- I fought back in such a similar way and continue to, day after day.

There are a lot of Larry Kings out there.

I watch my oldest son, desperately wanting to be popular, to be seen as cool, and cute, and important. I see a very lonely kid. A kid struggling to fit in, to make sense of the world, to have the world make sense of him.

And still love him.

I imagine Larry had similar struggles.

It breaks my heart.

I’m concerned for my son. I want to give him the best tools to go out and face the world, whatever his gender identity and sexuality might be. He may be straight. He may be gay. He may be twelve and struggling with a narrowly defined world boys must live in to be accepted.

I don’t know. Neither does he.

But as I read the LA Times piece today, I was reminded of why I care so much about the political landscape of this country. Why I write passionately about the campaigns taking place today.

I want him to be safe.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

Thanks for reminding us of Lawrence. With all the political squabbling going on, it's easy to lose focus of what really matters.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Sara- NO president can guarantee that or change the landscape of human behavior- especially adolescent behavior.
You are giving your son what he needs to maneuver the tricky years ahead of him. And he will do well with the love and support of his family. It may not be easy but he'll figure his way through and you'll be there, cheering him on.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I know a president cannot do that.

but there is something about standing up against it that makes a difference.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I agree, Sara, a president CAN set the tone of society. It is an extremely powerful position, and we seem to have forgotten how many positive things previous presidents have done because G.W. has done nothing. Think Social Security, Civil Rights legislation, Clean Air Act -- just a few society-altering initiatives done because the President was a driving force behind them.

Ms. Moon, Lawrence King seems like one of the most resilient kids I've ever heard of, even without a supportive family. There is nothing more he could have/should have done. So to simply say raise your son well and he'll be fine ignores the fact that it is still acceptable in our society to bully and kill someone for being gay.

Sorry for the rant. I guess from teaching middle school I just have no tolerance for the attitude of "that's how kids are." They are that way because it's what we've taught them.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home