Sunday, March 30, 2008

Too Nice, Too Sunny

Today, I was in charge of lock down. That meant being the one at home to follow through with the punishment de jour.

Ben "lost" his clarinet book which meant he could not practice his clarinet. If Jeanine and I had been born, say, yesterday, we would have believed him.

But, alas, we were not.

So, until he "found" the clarinet book, he could not leave the house. That seemed to require his responding with some language not fit to reprint.

Next stop? His room.

Jeanine, Zachary and Jake went to the mall to spend some hard earned allowance dollars. The mall, if you couldn't guess, is Ben's favorite place in the world.

But they were there and he was not. That made my young charge even more unhappy.

I thought about taking out Zachary's saxophone and playing "Swing lo... Sweet Chariot..." mournfully.

Instead, I took take my jailer duty to the porch outside my office. Read the New York Times. Got some sun.

Hummed my song. Thought about buying the sheet music for clarinet so Ben could have something to play when he is in his cell.

Sorry. Room.

Yup. I've been in one of those really good, can't be beaten down kind of moods. It's too nice and too sunny.

Next time? I'm going to bet he doesn't ditch his music book.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I wish someone would punish me and send me to my room.....alone...in peace and quiet.

Isnt it weird how kids find that to be torturous?

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could see that whole thing playing out. hope you didn't get a burn sitting in the sun!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Seda said...

Ouch! I feel sad for you both.

Laura - it's not weird. Kids have heightened needs for fun and connection, and almost always have a deficit of autonomy, or control of their lives. In the paradigm in which they live, being sent alone to your room is painful indeed.

I hope the healing is beautiful, and comes soon.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Can you read a Finale for Windows .mus file?

http://www.crispen.org/music/swinglow.mus

You may need to put the phrases and accents in yourself. Otherwise, I could probably do a PDF file or something.

--
Rev. Bob

3:56 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

OK, same directory (www.crispen.org/music/), swinglow.pdf.

And you might like the .mus file a little better.

I've never played a clarinet, so sorry if some of those slurs are unplayable.


It's not like you won't need it again.

On second thought, maybe you can keep your kid.


--
Rev. Bob

5:41 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

now THAT would be cruel... making ben play the song.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Should Jeanine or I run him off the music for "We shall overcome"?

Can he hit a low e-natural?

"Deep River" sounds appropriately gloomy. Start off on B natural below middle C and play it by ear. There's a couple of Gs in there.

If he's playing an A clarinet I'd advise y'all just give up and buy him a cor anglais.

;)

--
Rev. Bob

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home