Thursday, March 27, 2008

Can We Get Along?

I had a friend of mine admit today that she's an Obama supporter.

I would say a good friend of mine but now... I'm not so sure.

Only kidding. I was a little surprised but not completely. Frankly? At this point? I don't care.

I don't care who wins as long as a Democrat wins. And it's starting to look like that won't happen.

She pointed out to me that Obama wasn't being negative to gay people, or immigrants, in the speech he made in Oregon the other day. He was simply saying, let's not get caught up in immigrants and gay people when we have bigger issues- the economy and the war- to look at.

Okay.

I can see that. I'm not sure that I agree but then, I wasn't in the room. I didn't hear the entire speech. I listened with attitude and not openness.

See, she is a good friend. And I realized for a second, my heart closed. Over what? A political candidate? No.

Hillary Clinton didn't just invite me to the Cape this summer, and Barack Obama didn't teach her kids how to body surf.

I was going to let an average candidate- and let's face it, they are both average candidates with relatively little experience- make me love my friend any less.

But the thought that someone as insane and erratic as John McCain would end up in the Oval Office in charge is... more than either of us could bear.

The primary season has never lasted so long. By the time the Democrats get to Denver, nothing is going to be left. No more money to raise. No more dignity from either side.

Nothing.

Imagine if right now, we had lined up a series of debates with John McCain. I'm willing to bet that by debate three, we could have him bright red and spitting out some off balanced, angry retort.

By debate 5? It would be McCain throwing every dirty political trick in the book to win.

We're not going to have time for three debates after Denver, let alone five.

What are we going to do?

We cannot stand five more months of this.

We will lose.

I keep hearing Rodney King's voice:

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out."

We have to work this out.

Or we will never get our justice.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree, let's hope that this gets worked out before it is too late. 4more years of republican rule would drive me to think about moving to canada! LOL

more snow downeast tomorrow! when WILL it end?

8:26 PM  
Blogger Seda said...

Yes. I wish I had a good solution. I'm afraid that Democrats are hardening into armed camps - against each other. Sad. I just hope that something happens to get us back on the same page. It's so pathetic that we've finally got a chance to break the white male monopoly, and we're blowing it.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Once again you had it exactly right, and I'm ashamed I was so bad at listening. What matters is that we're people, neighbors, friends. We have so many temptations around us (no, not David Ruffin and Otis Williams, more's the pity) to be something less than real people.


So what I'm trying to say is "what you said; me too".

--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen

12:49 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

I agree, and I also think we're losing a great opportunity to focus on the issues, as Digby writes:

we should be using this prolonged primary to leverage the two candidates against each other on the issue instead of joining in the fun and games of primary politics.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home