Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rhythm


After placing all the plates down on the table and calling the kids to lunch, it occurred to me the rhythm here is similar to when the boys were little.

Except that they slept until 9:30 this morning. Believe me, that never ever happened when they were little.

I made breakfast, cleaned the dishes, cleaned the house, and took the boys out to the new grocery store.

It's really quite nice. There was an enormous giggling moment at the sausage section- I'm not quite sure why the store made sausage was so... long and wide. They stopped giggling when I asked them if that's what they wanted for dinner.

We got back and they immediately asked for lunch- and I made what they wanted, placing the cut sandwiches on the plates with a pile of cut fruit in the middle. While they sat at the table laughing, I cleaned up the kitchen.

Then it was nap time. Sure, only I took a nap but still, the rhythm was complete.

Feeding, cleaning, a special event, then feeding, cleaning, and napping. The big difference now is that they talk and talk and talk and talk. Non-stop chitter chat about everything from the last game of BS they played, to how their Aunt Toni was telling them what nut cases Jeanine and I were about their food being organic when Ben and Zachary were babies.

Until Jake was born, and then we were eating at McDonald's.

Oh, you all had McDonald's when you were little. You didn't go through toddlerhood without a happy meal.

Geesh. I'm not THAT mean.

I found them all sitting in the hammock after I finished the breakfast dishes. Ben was teaching Jake and Zachary all the lyrics of some song they like.

I know it won't last. The current game of BS being played next to me on the porch is about to erupt in violence, as did the game of Go Fish last night. Of course, after Go Fish, we did silly dancing moves.

Even Zachary danced.

It's the four of us again. Sure, Jeanine would be home at night, but the days were ours to fill. Strollers have been replaced by short real life in the car driving lessons. Sippy cups of milk replaced by snapple ice teas.

Food is still organic whenever possible- they may not realize it but it is.

I love this rhythm. I believe it is possible elsewhere, but requires work and effort to not be distracted. Here? There is no choice.

Just one more reason why I love it so much.

6 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Hi Sara! Tell Jake that Joey says "hi" from the Poconos.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

glad to see you got a new hammock. that old one had "boys crashing on the stones" written all over it.

see you later this afternoon, with the lobstas!

8:26 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I'm enjoying this vicariously.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Just found your blog & LOVE it! I plan to come back here often to daydream & smile about the day that I will have my babies. :) Do you suggest any other lesbian mom blogs?

Thanks!
Kara

4:25 PM  
Blogger Ulla said...

I'd suggest lesbiandad.com
It's fantastic.

4:39 AM  
Blogger Shannon Ralph said...

Hi there! I just happened upon your blog when I was playing around on the computer. I am also a lesbian mommy blogger. It's my inexpensive therapy. :) It's so nice to read about other mommas out there wih similar experiences!

-Shannon

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home