Friday, November 11, 2011

Penn State: Get a Grip

How many children need to be raped before a University does something? Who could watch a child be raped and do nothing? Nothing at all?

I see something like that? I'm getting a baseball bat or the heaviest object near me and I'm stopping it. Then, I'm going to the police. But I do not wait and go to my boss.

If someone was murdered, would you wait to tell your boss? Or do you call 9-1-1?

What football program is more important than reporting directly to the police a crime?

My god, what is wrong with this country? Full disclosure: I am a football fan. Love watching, playing, and I've been a Penn State fan for years. My grandfather went there, left a large donation and there's some plaque by a pond on campus with his name on it. I have always respected the graduation rates of football players from Penn State.

Paterno knew for years. Years. Not a week, or a month, but long enough to have stopped the pain for many more victims. He could have stopped a predator.

But he didn't.

I'm suppose to sit here and shed a tear for him? I don't care what he did for how many years. He made a choice. Did any of the kids make the choice to be raped? To have their whole lives shattered? Their trust and innocence taken away forever?

Students rioting over Paterno's firing can go visit a rape trauma center for children and decide if their precious football coach is more important. The football season at Penn State should be over. And over forever.

The purpose of a University is to teach and develop young minds to enhance and further our society. There was a time when football was a fun diversion, a source of pride. Now it's about big time dollars, contracts and televised glory. It has no place on any college campus anywhere in this country.

Because when the loss of a coach who broke the law causes outrage, a coach who did more than break the law, who ignored a heinous, disgusting crime, we have lost our way. Power dynamics around money in college sports have warped people's sense of morality.

But it's deeper than that. It's about the culture of football that has become larger than life. It's about a game that has become much more than a game. I can only wonder why McQuery didn't immediately call the police or stop the crime. Why? Was Sandusky that precious?

I doubt it. It was about the program.

The Trustees of Penn State did the right thing. I love football. I've been a Penn State fan for a long time. I'm not sure I can ever watch a game again without thinking of this crime.

To those protesting? Get a grip. Get a goddamn grip.

14 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I am SO with you on this. And the whole thing reminds me of the Catholic Church's cover-ups. There is no True Religion, whether it is from Rome or a football field where this sort of thing can be rationalized. The rape and abuse of children are, as far as I can tell, the very worst crimes a human can commit.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Sara- I am going to link this post. I hope that's okay with you.
Thanks.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Extraordinary post -- you should send it in to Huffpost. I'm here from Ms. Moon and look forward to reading more of your blog.

1:04 PM  
Blogger gradydoctor said...

Exquisitely written. I am here from Ms. Moon's blog and am so happy I am. Thank you for your raw insight on this. I'm not a football fan, but my husband is. His role as a dad trumps football, though. He's at the Falcon's game right now and has been tailgating all morning. Before he left, though, he said, "Joe Paterno witnessed a murder and didn't tell. Then he let a murderer go. He got what was coming to him."

I was so happy that was his take on all of this. Thanks for this.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

of course ms. moon.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

ps. I just submitted to huffington. we will see.

3:46 PM  
Blogger N2 said...

I also came over from Ms Moon's. I am behind you 100%, especially your statements:
"My god, what is wrong with this country?
What football program is more important than reporting directly to the police a crime?"
...
"Because when the loss of a coach who broke the law causes outrage, a coach who did more than break the law, who ignored a heinous, disgusting crime, we have lost our way. Power dynamics around money in college sports have warped people's sense of morality. "

If you take a good, hard look at what is going on around the Occupy movements all over the country, it becomes clear that power dynamics around money have warped people's sense of morality in America not only around college sports, but around so much more in every day life.

Thank you for speaking out. I hope your post gets widely distributed. Best, N2

5:29 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I will never understand how someone could witness a crime and not call the police. period. to me, that is beyond comprehension.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Pamela Johnson Parker said...

I also will never understand how a 22-year-old male, in the peak of health, and a football player, couldn't go in there and stop that crime, right then and right there. I am not excusing anyone else at the Penn State football program; I'm just wondering what kept an adult male from acting right, right then.

This post is very well written; I am here from Ms. Moon's blog as well.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Mary LA said...

So glad to read this. I loathe cover-ups and promises from paedophiles in return for invisibility and a chance to do it again. Found you via Ms Moon

4:40 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

ms. moon, you are soooo good to me. thank you.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post. but i can believe it. my father was a pedophile and everyone knew. and no one did anything. the priest in the arch diocese of boston told my mom she had to forgive him and should not divorce him. of course he did. that priest was probably a pedophile too. it was 1972 after all. my family cared more about not letting the neighbors find out than they did about protecting me. i vomit every time the stories come on the news. and i cry. and i wonder if i will ever be okay.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Thank you for calling this what it is: CHILD RAPE. With this and the Catholic Church, people keep referring to "sex scandal," and "sex abuse scandal." If we start calling it what it is, people will pay closer attention.

BTW, Sara, I never knew you had a blog and wrote for the Huffington Post. Thank Goodness for my issue of Newton Living to tell me about my neighbors. Cool!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

thanks, Christine.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home