Thursday, April 12, 2007

First Shoe Tied!



There are few moments in life that are as wonderful and sweet as when your children accomplish something big.

Jake tied his own shoes this morning.

This is big.

It’s big for him because he was sure he would not learn how to do it. He begged for slip on or velcro shoes.

I said to him, in confidence, I did not learn how to tie my shoes until I was in first grade. Don’t worry. You'll get it.

Today? He got it.

I’m so proud of him.

It’s a huge moment for him. Certain he would always fail, he pulled the bunny ears around, slipped them into a knot without thinking about it. His hands mastered it even with all his doubt and now his confidence is booming.

It's a huge moment for me. I’m done with diapers. I’m done putting on clothes with snaps and zippers. I no longer have to cut up hot dogs into small pieces. I’m not needed for help in any bathroom activity- except hair washing. Yes, they can but no they don’t do it very well.

And I don’t have to tie shoes anymore.

Independence is a beautiful thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home