Friday, September 07, 2007

What to do?

I’ve tried to stay calm.

I’ve tried to have a good attitude.

But I am having a hard time.

What do you do when one of your kids, perhaps the one with an issue with reading, has a teacher you think is going to be completely inept at dealing with it? Not because of rumor or innuendo at the school, which can very easily influence parents, but from very real, personal experience?

And what do you do when one of your kids, perhaps the one with the less than stellar teacher, comes home from his first day miserable and describing a class room where he had to stay seated the entire time?

When we were informed, two weeks ago, of the classroom assignments, I flipped. But, my charming and ever calm wife reassured me it would be fine.

That’s her therapy issue.

Now what do I do? Lie to my son, through gritted teeth, that it’ll be okay?

Don’t tell me to work with the teacher. Been there, tried that.

My gut told me to do something two weeks ago. I didn’t. Now I’m angry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Move your kid. Be loud. Annoying. Persistent. They'll give in just to quiet you. Let your son know you're fighting for him. That'll matter more than you know.

A second grader staying seated the whole day? Are these teachers on crack?!?!

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Move him, move him, move him. If that does not work, call other parents in the class and make sure that they know the situation too.

I'm so sorry. No child (or parent) should be subjected to poor teachers. Good luck...and let us know what happens!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I have an appointment with the principal next week.

this is NOT about jake having a bad day. this is about me not trusting my gut two weeks ago when I found out.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I completely understand the "trusting the gut" thing. It's a hard thing to do, especially if you've been told you're over-reacting or you're too sensitive or a number of other things that people who aren't in tune with their own intuition often say to those of us who are.

Good luck Sara. We're rooting for you...and Jake!!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home