Monday, October 08, 2007

Butch Paradise

I’ve never really thought of myself as butch. I knew everyone else thinks of me that way, but I don’t. Personally, I feel quite the princess most of the time. I love to cook, take care of my kids, and run a house. I shriek when mice or snakes are present- not that it’s a particularly feminine trait but… it’s certainly not considered butch to be standing on top of a chair when a rouge dust ball happens by (remember, Marg?).

I have even had my now long hair braided. Although afterwards, everyone told me I looked like Ben Franklin.

Ouch.

I would have settled for Johnny Tramaine.

I realize, I can have all the femme I want in my heart but the outside world is always going to see 5’ 10”, broad shouldered, built like a truck Butch.

If I wore heels everyone would ask me when I had my reassignment surgery. I can’t pull girl off. Never have been able to. Maybe that’s why I care so much about keeping the T in the ENDA debate. Gender expression is very important to me. I think I look like a woman but I still get asked all the time if I’m in the right restroom.

Which brings me to yesterday, when I embraced my inner butch. More than embrace, I pretty much had a wild fling with it. There I was, driving Walter’s F150 truck, wearing a flannel shirt, and heading to Home Depot to get an axe.

And a wood splitter. I mean… it was nirvana. With my Levis and baseball cap, I broke out in full swagger. I loved it.

You’re beside yourself, aren’t you? Jeanine asked as we returned to the truck, I with axe slung over my shoulder.

Yup.

Butch Paradise.

I loved it. I have decided to reclaim my inner butch. I am going to feed her with activities such as fishing, kayaking and drinking whiskey.

Well… I hate whiskey. Maybe a chunky Cabernet or rustic Chianti.

Yeah, I know. I have a lot of work to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill Graber said...

I drive an Avalanche and wear boots in the winter (albeit they are uggs) so does that make me butch?

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time during a huge snow storm we were having......I was dressed in my father's hunting jacket and pants (because they REALLY are very warm).....outside shoveling when the snow plow came thru and reburied the driveway that I just shoveled out.....I was FURIOUS!!! But I politely went over to the guy's truck and asked him to removed what he did to which he replied "How would you like me to get out of this truck and kick your ASS?"..........that just made me laugh and answer with "Id love to see you try"!!!!!

He totally thought I was a guy....I would have like to see the look on his face after I kicked HIS ass!!!!! LOL

I can pull "girl" off when absolutely necessary....but I hate it!

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm kinda like you. I don't look super-butch, but everyone tells me that no one would have trouble labeling me a lesbian.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

the uggs are not butch.

not even remotely.

the avalanche is completely butch.

question: is there a lab retriever hanging out the window with a bandana? that would push it to the butch side.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home