Friday, January 11, 2008

Is America Ready for This Nutcracker?

That’s it. I have decided who to support, who I want to be President.

In the 1970’s, I remember the rhetoric against the Equal Rights Amendment. Men in women’s bathrooms. Shared showers in schools. Horror of all horrors, men would become women and women would become men.

Here we are in 2008 and there is a product out on the market, a nutcracker, in the image of Senator Clinton. You put the nut between her “legs” and she crushes it.

Right. Okay. So why don’t we have an Obama doll in black face? Perhaps because that would be so racist the outcry would be deafening.

I haven’t heard any outrage about the nutcracker. Couple giggles. Isn’t that funny.

No, it isn’t. And it isn’t 1970 anymore. Nor is it 1870.

As a feminist who cut her teeth on abortion clinic lines, as a young woman who watched my mother fight for the ERA only to be told she was a man-hater (she was, after all divorced, too), I find myself in the position with only one candidate to support.

I am voting for Senator Clinton.

I’m not going to argue her record, because she and Obama have made 90% of the same votes in the Senate. I’m not going to argue positions, because for the most part, all three top candidates running for the Democratic nomination are basically the same.

If I were voting for my values, my positions, I’d be voting for Kucinich. The reality of the media’s influence today is once labeled “unelectable,” you are, in fact, unelectable. Which brings me to why I am voting for Clinton.

The media’s portrayal of Clinton’s “breakdown” “crying” “emotional moment” over and over and over again made me so angry I could no longer sit on the sidelines and pick on the Republicans. I mean, Huckabee alone makes it too easy by having friends who attack Cabbage Patch dolls- Bill Gothard called for immediate removal of all dolls because children, by “adopting a doll, … might not want to raise up their own godly children.”


I bet those American Girl dolls are the next incarnation of the devil. But like I said, it’s too easy to pull back the curtain and see all the freaks in Huckabee’s closet.

Clinton had a moment of real emotion, not unlike when she was cracking up being interviewed by Fox News. After all the years- and I mean years- of being framed in the most unflattering way by Fox, when Chris Wallace wishes her well, how could you do anything but laugh?

Ah, but the “tears” … maybe, some questioned, she was being manipulative and manufactured her emotion to get the vote in New Hampshire. Obama can sing and clap along with Donnie McClurkin, a homophobic, “ex-gay” nightmare and no one accuses him of manufactured love to get the vote. Edwards pushes the line of corporate greed versus the poor so hard you half expect him to come out with the Merry Men and Elizabeth dressed as Maid Marian.

I don’t know who those pundits thought lived in New Hampshire, but I can say one thing about my neighboring state- they don’t fall for bullshit. Thus Huckabee’s miserable returns.

I’m done with the nutcrackers, the “iron my shirt” comments, and the cleavage questions. I’m done with the glass ceiling, to be sure, but I’m more done with the symbolic annihilation of Senator Clinton in the media. She has, hands down, the most experience having spent 8 years in the White House already. She is the smartest candidate, without question and her analysis, is thorough and incredibly informed.

Even when I don’t agree, I respect her position.

People have said the “emotional” moment shifted the race for Clinton. It did for me. Not because it made her “real” or more “reachable” or made me feel like she was a pal who I could sit and chat with, because it didn’t. I get the impression she is driven, focused and would actually scare the shit out of me if we ever sat down to talk.

I don’t want someone to talk to. I want someone to fix the mess that George Bush created in this country. I want someone smart, someone who can work DC, and someone who passionately believes in the job.

No matter how threatening it is to anyone’s masculinity.

I am supporting Hillary Clinton for President.

Labels: , , , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Me too. Of course, I don't really have a choice. She is the only one on the ballot here in Michigan, where my vote in the primary may not count anyway. I'm pissed about the whole thing.

From my perspective, it has been very interesting this year. I'm originally from Arkansas...I used to work for Huckabee and I knew his family well (he also baptized my mom), yet I can't muster the nerves to vote for him for president. I would be much more comfortable with him in the VP slot. Most people automatically expect I would vote for him, however. Nope. Not Gonna' do it. I'll be votin' for Hill and Bill.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Listen- the woman deserves it. She's getting my vote in the primary and hopefully the election.
Here's my secret hope- Hillary for president with Obama as her running mate. Eight years of that scenerio. Then...Eight years of Obama as president. If all goes as it would in the perfect world of my own mind.
But I have to say, it's freaking interesting that we may well have either a woman or a black man in the White House and that, to me, is something I'm glad I've lived to see.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Clinton and Obama? No way. She's going to need a white guy from the midwest.

think Harkin...

6:33 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

But in the perfect world of my own mind....

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think hillary is a good candidate and would make a good president, but not sure she is the best the democrats could nominate. this has nothing to do with my masculinity being threatened by her. as an independant, i will not be involved in that nominating process, but will support her if she does in fact become the nominee.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Donald, she is the best one out there.

Obama would be a great, great healer of this nation. And I think after 8 years of clean up, he'd be a perfect president.

but for now? I don't think so.

I know Clinton doesn't threaten you... I was poking at the people who make the nut crackers...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

here here!!

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she is getting my vote too!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

A friend stopped by today and asked, so what changed? You hated Clinton last week.

I said, I still hate her. Just so sick of the gender crap flying through the media airwaves, I cannot do anything else but vote for her.

And... okay, she's the MOST experienced.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Ulla said...

The last comment: then you are voting for her for the wrong reasons.
I like Obama because he seems very bright, very level-headed, very reasonable, and able to work with opponents well.
Huckabee gives me the creeps because he wants god to play a role in law-giving. He must have missed the part where Jesus said "give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar etc."

2:05 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I don't believe Obama can win.

I just don't.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Ulla said...

With THAT attitude, in someone like you, he certainly can't. You think too little of the american people.
But of course he can. If he is the nominee, up against anyone the republican party has come up with so far, he WILL win.
A few presidential debates plainly demonstrating his good temper and intelligence will convince the majority (you don't need to win the nutty fringes) that he is exactly whom you need.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I am a realist about American people. I come from the northeast- we would elected a black woman president in this part of the country.

but there is a reality of the south, the midwest, the more conservative areas of this country.

I will admit, though, that I did not believe Deval Patrick could be elected governor of Massachusetts. I thought his campaign wasn't well run (early on), and he was too liberal for a state that had elected mitt romney.

I was wrong.

If Obama gets the nomination? I will do everything I can to get him elected.

and honestly? his positions are almost entirely the same as Clinton's. 90 perecent of the same votes.

it's splitting hairs.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara you know I love you, but I'm bummed about your decision.

Hillary is a republican in a skirt. The primary is the time to vote with feeling. Send a message, stand up for the little guy. Not only did you not think that Deval would get in, you also stated that you never believed you would see gay marriage rights in your lifetime. How did that happen? It took individuals convincing politicians that their rights are important. I want my rights to be priority over Murdock's; who by the way owns Hillary just like China owns the US.

I get that politics can be ugly and underhanded. But the people have to say enough! Enough to selling out to the highest bidder - to corporate run media - to funding an unwar - to giving in. Don't give in. Stand up and fight hard for me, the little guy.

Still love ya,
Heidi

www.dennis4president.com

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know yet whether or not I'll vote O'Bama or Hillary, but I can say I moved further toward Hillary for the same reasons you did after a comment made on WBUR during 'Morning Edition' last Monday. When the question was posed if Hillary Clinton could become the "come back kid" by pulling off the same feat her husband did by winning the Democratic nomination after he lost both Iowa and New Hampshire the reply by one of the hosts was; "she could be the comeback chick". The lack of respect shown Clinton was degrading to all women - and this is considered a progressive broadcast! I thought: this is exactly why we need a women in office -

j

10:16 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Heidi, I love you, too but... have you really listened to kucinich? the man sounds high as a kite most of the time. I'm just not that groovy.

he does, however, say everything I believe in.

I didn't say I wouldn't be voting for him in the primary- every vote cast for him is a nail on the political platform of the Democrats. that's a good thing.

but... dennis? no. sorry. don't want him with the big red button.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Well, I've done my part. I voted for her this afternoon, though I'm not sure my vote will count...

(I live in MI. We done screwed the DNC.)

9:07 PM  
Blogger raha85 said...

I think hillary is a good candidate and would make a good president, but not sure she is the best the democrats could nominate. this has nothing to do with my masculinity being threatened by her.

la ciudadela

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home