Saturday, February 09, 2008

Bad Habits

I walked into the kitchen yesterday afternoon and I saw one of my own worst bad habits. I had left the cabinet door where the plates are open, the drawer for the utensils open and the door to the glasses open. And the pantry doors were open, too.

I know it’s a horrible habit. I know I do it all the time. I have been known to leave the refrigerator doors open and walk out of the room.

I leave closet doors open.

I cannot seem to shut a door. Except the door to the house. I always shut that. Well, usually.

My wife ignores it. Which means she does not shut the doors behind me, just leaves them there, open maws, waiting for some kind soul to take notice.

I quit smoking cold turkey over twenty years ago. Can I stop leaving doors open? No. And I’ve been consciously trying for twenty years.

I will refrain from listing my wife’s bad habits.

Anyone else want to chime in? And I mean bad habits, not gross ones. I honestly don’t want to hear about anything nasty.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see it as a bad habit Sara but as a sign of engagement in more meaningful thoughts and activities. The refrigerator thing - well that wastes energy but the rest of it? Are there any negative consequences? If not, don't sweat the small stuff. Shout out some humorous affection for yourself and this benign idiosyncracy.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

it is a little odd to walk into a room and have all the doors open.

kinda like... where's the fire?

6:31 PM  
Blogger Ulla said...

My new years resolution was to quit wasting two precious morning hours on the internet. As you can see, I've failed so far. I've always had a huge problem with work disciplin.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

ulla, my blog is not a waste of time.

the rest are.

LOL

9:02 AM  
Blogger Ulla said...

Uh, I forgot to say "present company excluded, of course, as always".
None of them are really a waste of time, and yet I get no work done while I spend my time in that manner.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when it comes to the kitchen, i am usually neat, but when here alone, which is most of the time, i find it hard to do dishes until the sink is almost full of them! guess i am saving on the hot water, yeah right!! LOL

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. i forgot that when you didn't even have doors on the pantry and closet, and you had me install them for you, you asked for automatic closers be installed. guess i should have paid more attention to that request. LOL

12:20 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I believe Walter asked for automatic closers becuase HE knows my bad habit.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home