Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Pop, Lock and Drop It

I love my job. I do. I cannot imagine doing anything else. I’ve always explained to my kids that I write, I serve on several foundation boards and I’m trying hard to have a positive impact on the world.

Today, I’m not so sure.

Ben came home yesterday, waltzed into my office and said to me, Are you a stay at home mom?

I said, No, I work at home.

So you’re a stay at home mom.

No, I work at home. My office is in my house. You are standing in it. But when you all were little, I was a stay at home mom. My full time job was taking care of you all. It’s not anymore.

Stay at home mom, he nodded confidently and walked away.

Today? He came in my office again.

MOM, what did you DO?

I got a haircut, Ben.

OH GOD… please don’t wear that fleece out anywhere, okay?

I have on my wife’s bulky, black and white checked fleece. It’s very warm and after having hot flashes to heat a small city this morning, I needed something more than the tee shirt I was wearing.

My hair is now short again. After two years of having it halfway down my back- okay, not really that long but it felt that way- I cut it off into a new, sassy do.

At least that’s what my stylist said.

Ben…

Okay, just wear a pink tank top. You know, layered look.

BEN…

But mom… it’s so short. People are going to think you are a boy.

Ben, people called me sir when my hair went halfway down my back. It’s the way I look. Now please, I’m trying to finish up…

I’m just sayin’

BEN, it hurts my feelings. Can you please lay off the pink tank tops and terrible hair comments? I know I’m not pretty…

Oh, but you are mom. If you didn’t look like a boy.

BEN! DROP IT!

At that point, he ran out of the office.

This is from a kid whose pants don’t cover his rear end.

Maybe I need a new job. One that takes me out of my home to a place where no one requires me to wear a pink tank top or comments on my hair style.

Or a lock on my office door.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Lock it. Definitely.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

my hairs shorter than your hair. nananabooboo. Tell ben to be glad I am not his mom. lol

9:38 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

These are Ben's issues and normal for a boy his age.
I would try not to get emotionally involved in them if I were you. And yeah, a lock sounds good.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OR he could be here with me. When I go out to shovel snow I look like a lumber jack all in black and red hunting gear - and I DONT wear a pink tank top underneath!

Its my Dad's.....its UGLY...but its warm!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

just wear a pink tank top

You should totally do that -- but only if you accessorize with some rainbow socks and Birkenstocks, and then go meet him at school.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

SUE!

such an idea.

I think I will.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Sometimes I really miss teaching middle school ... they are so easy to call out on this "appearance" stuff.

"The" expression of the day when I taught was "that's so gay!" about anything they didn't like. I always responded with "You shouldn't say that. You have no idea what the sexual orientation of that sweater (or whatever) is." They would just get this blank look. But they stopped saying it -- around me, anyway.

I know. It's surprising I left teaching, right? Ha!

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh MY GOD......u r SO PRETTY!!!!
Like I haven't been jealous of your beauty all my life!!!
I hate it when u down yourself!!!!
Ben's just jealous because he can't wear a pink tank top!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

UM... jealous of my BEAUTY?

seriously, folks, I did NOT pay her to say that.

I think she's been smokin' something.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

So when do we get to see a picture of the new do?

7:21 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'll get one up later today or tomorrow.

I think it's sassy.

Went out to dinner with two gay men who sighed sadly that I had cut it off.

like either of them have to deal with hair ties, blow dryers and buckets of conditioner daily.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home