Saturday, March 01, 2008

Action, Please. Not Just Words.

The irony of the fact that I am losing my voice today after being on The Michelangelo Signorile Show yesterday does not escape me.

There was so much more I wanted to say. I recognize how we’ve become a country who looks to the talking head on the television instead of the live person in the room.

Obama, as gracious a speaker as he is, always mentions gays in his speeches. That is great. He has, however, never attended a single gay event. He’s never walked in a Gay Pride parade.

Clinton has. As First Lady, as Senator, she has shown her face in the gay community, participated, marched with the LGBT community.

Signorile said, but she doesn’t mention us in her speeches, specifically.

Mike? I’d take five minutes of face time, true face time, over all the speeches put together. You know why? Because when you meet us, when you sit and listen to our stories, you cannot help but be affected.

All the polls done for gay rights say exactly that- to get the message across, you must get personal. I know specifically of the poll done by Mass Equality in April of 2007. That poll cited others, too.

YOU HAVE TO GET TO KNOW US.

Clinton has. I know of two lesbians who are friends of Hillary Clinton. They live in Rochester, New York and were friends of my mothers. They spend time with the Clinton’s and have for years.

She knows our community. Spent time in our community.

Obama has pretty speeches, to be sure, but did you see him at the LOGO debate? The man did not look comfortable. None of them did.

Except Clinton.

Go play the tapes.

Obama gets away with the frat boy assertion "I just got to make clear, I got tested with Michelle, when we were in Kenya in Africa. I don't want any confusion here about what's going on.”


Don’t worry Barack, we don’t think your queer.

But don’t you find it ironic that Clinton is so close to the gay community she often gets called a lesbian?

And now Obama loads up on ads to the gay and lesbian community in Texas and Ohio, filled with more pretty words.

But he’s still never sat down and had dinner with HRC. All those years of experience he’s had as State Senator and not one time did he go to an Equality Illinois event?

Clinton has spoken in front of many LGBT audiences ranging from the Human Rights Campaign, Empire State Pride Agenda, the Hetrick Martin Institute, PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays), GMHC (Gay Men’s Health Crisis), and the American Foundation for AIDS Research.

Obama is fine with Donny McClurkin discussing how we’re all going to burn in hell.

I guess I should be okay with that. It’s something my twelve year old suggests I do, too. I should be full with the great speeches. I should feel safe in his hands.

I don’t.

I’ve lost my voice today. It’s a form of parental torture not to be able to be heard.

It’s worse, though, to have people swayed by words instead of action, to ignore who has sat at the table with us.

I hope the LGBT voters in Texas and Ohio think twice about those words. And think about who has taken the time to get to know us.

Over years and years.

Personally? I want action, please. Not just words.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger m. cacioppo said...

ugh.. this primary is getting so disappointing. what is wrong with america? this is why advertising executives make so much money, they can sell people shit they don't really need. just like obama is doing. his staffers must be ex advertising execs or something.

he is the Nike of politics. its making me sick to my stomach. i hate how people are giving him so much credit for his obvious PANDERING of the LGBT community.

phony.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Austin, Texas. I voted for Senator Clinton. I like Obama, but Hilary has stood up for my community. He has not. That was the main reason I voted for her. Thank you Sara for opening my eyes.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

marianne, isn't the vote on tuesday?

and m., there is a lot wrong with america. don't get me started. but there is something pretty special about arguing over an African-American man and a Woman to be the next president of the united states.

pretty special.

10:26 AM  
Blogger In_Flight said...

Amen sister! I heard you on the michaelangelo show on sirius, and I mentioned you in my post for that day. Hope you don't mind.

Let's just hope she can pull out march 4!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Early voting. And yes, I think it's fabulous who we're "arguing" about. My partner voted for Barack because she thinks he'll do a better job unifing Americans. And I must admit I get chills when I hear him speak. But I think some evangelists get chills too when someone with great charisma speaks. So again, since they are so similar in policies, I felt comfortable standing up for someone who has stood up for me.

By the way, I got hooked on your blog last fall. Thank you for being so blunt, but humorous. I have two small children, and one is a 3 year old boy. The tip on how to pee standing up (and why there is no need for the flap) was priceless!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

thanks, marianne. keep commenting!

I'm full of a lot of useful penis tips.

oh, god, that didn't sound right at all...

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you all

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of the Web world
[url=http://bjwsutw.q.gp/65/index.html]teens sexy filipina M[/url]
[url=http://biloori.pt.gp/54/index.html]cartoon network adult 397[/url]
[url=http://bilhuta.profis.me/43/map.html]fanfiction adult buffy map U[/url]
[url=http://bheedyy.kilu.org/40/index.html]anime expo 05 998[/url]
[url=http://bheedyy.kilu.org/49/map.html]color anime hair map Z[/url]
[url=http://bilhuta.profis.me/59/index.html]adult game flash l[/url]
[url=http://bdimuel.unprecedented.de/31/map.html]adult download anime y[/url]

We will not miss you

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home