Monday, February 25, 2008

Parental Pride

I have told many stories about my kids. Some funny, some sad, and always, I am proud of them.

But this letter Jake wrote, still has me beaming.

Last weekend, Jake and Allan were watching "Storm Chasers" on the weather channel. They were doing a segment on the tornado that hit Greensburg, Kansas. Immediately upon seeing the devastation, he turned to Allan and said, I want to give them money.

We have a 'swear jar' filled with the dollars collected mostly from my swearing. Anyone caught saying a swear word owes a dollar. The boys have also done lemonade stands from time to time, to collect money to give away.

Allan, moved by Jake's strong reaction, emailed the school superintendent for Greensburg, KS. Allan is a professor in the field of education, so it wasn't hard to find. The next morning, there was an email from the superintendent with a grateful acceptance for any and all help.

This is the letter Jake wrote to send in with the money. Allan helped with the spelling but the words and the sentiment are all Jake's.




The Superintendent promised to buy things for a second grade class with the $120.31 Jake sent in.

I am so proud of my son.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a great quality to see in a child! You must be doing something right!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have been saying all along you are well endowed in your upper torso. Personally, I think it's just your chest puffed out from those wonderful kids.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

So let me get this straight: suburban lesbian couple raises a smart, compassionate boy who sends his lemonade stand money to help complete strangers, while heterosexual alcoholic meth addicted couple raises homophobic teen killer. And you're the ones who are endangering the American Family?!

:Big sigh, shaking head in disbelief:

The reality is: society would be so much better with more families just like yours!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is soooooooo jake! he is such a great kid. great job in parenting the 4 of you are doing.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

AWWWWWWW I can just see that sweet little man doing something like that. Amazing when they do those things and make us so proud. Good job Jake.

7:53 PM  
Blogger (no subject) said...

awww! that is soooo sweet of him!

2:56 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

there's definitely a lot to be proud of!!

hate to drag this down, but yet another gay teen shot, this time in FL.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-flbteenmurder0223sbfeb23,0,6177964.story

8:43 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I know about the other shooting. I just haven't been able to write about it yet.

where do I start? how he was characterized in the media? the lack of national attention, yet again?

8:48 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

and morgan... nah. I really do have big boobs.

everyone else? thank you. I'm so proud of that boy!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara & Jeani, you know I have always been proud of my Boston Boys. This just adds to my being even more proud. That was so thoughtful & compassionate. Jake you have some of your Grandpa Ted coming thru. He would have been so proud of you too. Love, Nana Weezie.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautifully heartwarming!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

that's my boys nana!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

and, Weezie? He has a little of his Grandma Anne in there, too.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home