Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

Easter Sunday...



We had an egg hunt, early morning chocolate- because that is what the good lord would want you to do- and a fabulous dinner.



It was a wonderful, sunny day.

The big news this weekend, though, is not about how many eggs each kid gathered, or the annual meltdown of Zachary (the kid just cannot do that much sugar at once), but that we are proud foster care for two cats.

I had agreed, a while ago, to foster care for cats who needed temporary homes. Mostly, barn cats, feral kittens, and to socialize them so they can be adopted.

My kids were thrilled with the idea but I knew they had no idea what it would be like to care for wild cats. It's not easy.

We finally got a call on Saturday morning that Jeanine and I could not resist. An elderly gentleman was moved to a nursing home. His two cats, both 15 years old and raised by him as kittens, were in a shelter. They hadn't eaten for days. They were listless and they were going to die.

I went and got them right away.

Within a few hours, they both ate a little, had some water and purred like crazy on my lap.

When they got here, they were not so sure they wanted to be here.



Charlotte hid under my desk.

But Darcy- hey, I did not name these cats- was fairly pleased to be away from the shelter.



I find it a little hard to believe Darcy didn't nibble on a bit of food while she was in the shelter. Sure, her sister was on a hunger strike but a morsel or two wouldn't be all THAT bad.

The good news is that while Charlotte still prefers to be under the desk, she will come out to be pat and held. Darcy is up for a small stroll from her sleeping spot, to the litter box, to the food and water and then for a pat while sitting under the chair.

No, I am not a member of PETA, and as I've mentioned before, I do have a mink coat. The reason I did this was to teach my kids some understanding of what it is to volunteer to help something that is helpless.

It's not about keeping every stray cat in the world but being a part of a larger community working to alleviate the problem.

So as I type, Charlotte is puring and sharing half my lap with the computer. Darcy has returned to her sleeping place, her evening stroll complete. The boys have been sweet and quiet around them.

Earlier, I sat with both Zachary and Jake, sitting on the floor, reading books. They didn't try to pat the cats, or to chase after them. They simply came to sit in the room with them. Watch them. Talk about what they know about them, merely two days into the process.

I don't know when a good home will be found. They are old cats- and I mean OLD. Another elderly person would be perfect for them.

And in the meantime, we will all learn about being part of a new community.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

Wow -- you folks really know how to set a table, don't you?

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

foster home hahaha. Welcome to the family kitties/

2:06 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

oops that was me. I am thinking there won't be alot of hard work looking for a home for the kittys.
They definately look fat and sassy.
ttfn

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of fostering kittens/cats. I did it for several years when three of the local vets would have overflow in the spring and fall. Enjoyed it immensely, as did my shepard mix, Casey. She thought they were her babies. We were most fortunate in finding homes for all of them. One kitten went to a co-worker with a sailboat. Two years later I got a picture of her, hair blowing in the wind, standing near the bow sailing the seas.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

well... I'm nervous about the one... she's not eating unless I put it on her paw or chin.

but it is something.

and the boys are having a great time with it.

we travel enough, especially in the summer, that it didn't make sense to have a full time cat.

plus, my heart is still broken from losing Sophia last year.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home