Monday, June 09, 2008

Saltines

It is funny what evokes a long ago image. An instant of flavor, or smell or the way the sun is setting in the sky. It's never expected, and as I have learned in the last few years, sometimes welcomed, sometimes not.

Yesterday, it was the saltine crackers Ben pulled out.

I haven't had saltines since I was pregnant. Miserable, nauseous, I chipped away at saltines while wetting my lips with Ginger Ale. It was one of the few times in my life food was absolutely the last thing I wanted to be around.

I remember being in my office at the software company with those crackers and getting a phone call from a woman who was looking to start a support group for pregnant lesbians. My name had been given as a contact, something I did not remember signing up for.

It was the beginning of the moms group I hold as my family today. Thirteen years and ten kids later, we're still at it.

I remember my mother and how she would make careful little sandwiches with saltines. She'd spread peanut butter on one cracker, jelly on another and hand them to me to press together.

The jelly oozed out of the tiny holes signaling the perfect pressure. The extra salt on the cracker made it ever so slightly a savory snack rather than sweet. Finger sandwiches for the seven and under set, although she always had a few herself.

A simple box of Saltines on a hot day when having your mind move from one image to the next is enough to break a sweat.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

When I was a child, my best friend was named Lucille Ferger. Her family was large and there wasn't a lot of money and snacks at that house were always peanut butter and saltines. To this day, my own children call that combination a "Ferger snack."
It's such a classic. Thanks for bringing back memories.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Sara, that was lovely.

Do you think kids today will someday look back at simple pleasures like the jelly oozing through the holes? (Wonderful description, by the way!)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I don't know, Sue... I know that one of the things I always make when we go to the beach for the day are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches- and I cut them into quarters.

bite sized so no sand gets in your mouth.

or as little as possible.

I have grown men who know us from the beach (and our years of being in pretty much the same spot- to the left, past the volleyball nets on ogunquit beach) who stop by and poke around for those sandwiches!

I hope so.

ms. moon? you are welcome.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Saltines are wonderful, wonderful inventions. Thanks for the memory trigger. I'm glad to have stumbled on your blog.

www.simplyqueer.com

10:08 PM  
Blogger Denita said...

To this day, peanut butter on saltines is one of my favorite snacks. Thank you, you took me back. I'm glad I found your writings.

10:39 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors uk
coach outlet store online
ralph lauren
ugg outlet
fitflops sale
ugg boots
boston celtics jersey
rolex replica watches
polo ralph lauren
michael kors outlet

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home