Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Blue Revolution

As we wait for the results today from the last two primary votes, I have a few things I’d like to mention.

One? I’m sick of the Democratic Party. I’m sick of the games, the back room politics from a group that says it doesn’t play back room politics. I’m tired of the primary politics and super delegates- can we please have a system that the average Joe can understand? Not ever Democrat went to Harvard, and if we want to keep it that way, make it accessible. I’m sick of the centrist leanings in an effort to capture the vote of right wing fanatics.

Wake up. We’ll never get those votes. Donnie McClurkin is no way to bridge the gap.

I’m also tired of being a ‘gimmie’ vote for the Democrats. Howard Dean addresses the rules committee on Saturday and does he give a single shout out to LGBT groups? Nope. Why bother? Who are we going to vote for? McCain?

Although I can’t say Obama addresses our issues a whole lot better. Sure, he says the words, but the policies are nowhere. McCain panders to the right wing and charms Ellen Degeneres all in the same day. The double talk express is at least consistent.

I want electable candidates, like Al Gore, who will stand up and say, I believe in gay marriage. I believe in equal rights for all Americans.

Period. No pandering, no bullshit, pure and simple leadership.

I want a party that incorporates what Adam Werbach described in San Francisco at “Blue Living.”

As Werbach said, “I've seen people seeking something broader than a green or environmentalist solution to the myriad problems they face in their lives. Yes, they believe climate change is happening, but they also want to feel good about the way they look in the mirror and the way their kids look at them at the dinner table. They want to be part of something larger than themselves without having to sacrifice their identity. They want joy, not guilt, and a little money in their pocket so that they don't have to trade down on yet one more thing in their life.

When I heard Werbach’s speech, I was deeply moved. He spoke to my values- that there are many problems and issues facing us today, and climate change is a big one. I have always believed that business- especially big business- is the way to create social change in our country. I have poured my heart into shareholder resolution work only to see it ignored by the mainstream media.

I’m done with the Democrats. Yes, I will vote for Obama this fall. If he loses, the Democrats will turn and point to Clinton, I’m sure, for their failure instead of looking within their own system to create changes.

Same ol’ same ol’.

I want change. I want a new political party. I want a party based on the Blue Movements ideals. I want to be a part of a movement that recognizes the power of the consumer. One not built on guilt but that recognizes the reality of people’s lives “as busy, complex humans looking to do the best thing for their family and themselves.”

I believe people are ready for this change. It is why Obama’s speeches have been so popular. For me? I want real change.

I want real leadership.

No more pandering bullshit.

Please read the text of Adam Werbach’s speech.

And let’s create a Blue Political party.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sue J said...

Sign me up!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm completely sick of a two party system. we need more major contending parties.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

I;m totally on board with that, except that the two parties we probably get next will be the Even More Welfare for the Privileged Party and the Shred the Constitution for Jesus Party.

I am so damn sick to pandering to the worst oppressors and still getting called names by the bigots.


Hey, if the Republicans killed liberalism, let it die. If we're going to get called radicals, let's be radicals.

btw, I'm totally with you on corporations as vehicles for growth and progress. the far right, with their blind love for privilege and, as vehicles to perpetuate that privivilege, corporations -- the ones that create wealth and do good, and the ones that do nothing but suck wealth out of the countries where they do business, exploit every human being within range, and shelter vicious evildoers -- that we fell all the way into talking as though we believed that corporations are bad in se. There's good ones and bad ones. We forgot to use our eyes and ears and good sense. We were suckers.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

do you know what beauty you've created? In the things you care about in your work, in your friends,and the lives of your wife and children?

5:14 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Do good, create beauty with what you happen to have on hand. Parties don't make people. people make parties. Or people organize around something else.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would be all in for a new party. i am an independant, and dislike both parties! luckily, i dislike the republican one more!!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home