Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Brief Pause in Reality

I’ve been glued to the Olympics the last few days. After the flaming vagina of China at the opening ceremonies, how could I turn away?

I love watching the games. The swimming, volleyball, synchronized diving- I do wish they’d show the archery and a few other less “popular” sports. It reflects the magnitude of how many athletes are there ready to compete on a world level.

The boys have been watching with me. They are more focused on the USA rather than the sport itself. The whole Michael Phelps drama is a little over done, although I admit, I have watched all his races so far. The kid makes it look easy.

The coverage of the beach volleyball duo- May-Treanor and Walsh- are the poster women for heterosexuality. Over and over again the announcers mention how both are married and “ready to start a family.”

No question those girls like to do the deed with a big strong man!

Personally, I’m more in awe of their play, their ability to cover the court and the speed they can hit the ball into the sand. Their husbands, wedding rings and birthing plans do not interest me.

To be fair, nor does what Michael Phelps has for breakfast. It is part of what has happened to the games, the multimedia-advertising spree. I don’t like that at all but I tend to sit with a crossword puzzle so I can ignore the fluff.

Women’s gymnastics, to me, are a sport that demonstrates what’s wrong with how we treat girls in this world. Yes, it is awesome what they can do with bodies. And I’ll eat my hat if all those competitors are really 16 years old. Too young, too much pressure.

Maybe I’m just jealous because I have never been able to do a handstand unless I was in three feet of water.

The Olympics are a brief escape from the reality of the world today- Georgia being attacked by Russia, the poverty behind the walls China built to hide less than perfection, the ridiculous notion that offshore drilling could do anything to help the current gas prices at the pumps. In a few weeks, school will be starting. The Presidential race will kick into high gear. My heart starts to race just thinking about the growing possibility of a McCain presidency. The conventions will take place, VP’s picked and the discussion will be far from civil.

I’ll be ready when the shit starts to fly. But for now? I'm going to take a brief pause in reality and watch the best athletes in the world compete.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

During one of the many fireworks displays at the opening ceremony, I leaned over to DH and told him, "That looks like a huge vagina." He just giggled.


Even my 2.5 year old daughter is getting in on the excitement. She loved the spectacle Friday night, and she's really enjoying the swimming.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Some of the other events are being carried off-primetime by NBC's "other" networks, like MSNBC and USA. This morning at 6 am I was watching the news and I flipped over to USA and caught some of the women's field hockey -- US v Japan.

I'm with you -- I think watching these athletes refreshes me with hope for the human spirit. I think we're going to see the worst in the human spirit in the weeks leading up to November 4 ....

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about we call it a flaming vagina

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

You know, they were interviewing some of the Chinese about the stadium, and the reporter asked one woman what, aside from a nest, she thought it looked like.

She quickly put her hand over her mouth, laughing.

You know she was thinking, um, it's a big vagina. Are ya stupid?

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a flaming Clit
:)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, I think the Olympic torch- the giant one- did kinda look like a clit...

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been glued to the games. the michael phelps hysteria continues on this evening full force. he's accomplished so much but there are so many athletes that are getting almost snubbed.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

although it didn't look like a flaming vagina to me, i now see some resemblance. interestingly on that note, some of the opening ceremony fireworks were faked. ;)

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home