Thursday, November 13, 2008

In This Moment...

I lit a fire early today- the cold rain made it perfect timing even at 4pm. The cats and dog immediately shoved me from the front row and started soaking up the heat.

I'm married today. No one has taken away my right.

In California, 18,000 couples have no idea what they are. Some have kids, some don't. A few months ago, they were dancing in the streets, celebrating finally the recognition of their right to what everyone else has-

the ability to make a government sanctioned contract, under law, with years of legal precedent behind it. Some has dreamed of it since they were little, some never thought they would ever consider such a heinous crime of the patriarchy.

Yet there they were, with tears in their eyes, not understanding the power of the words, "I Do," and how those very words history, so deeply ingrained in the very fabric of their being would feel when they finally were able to say them.

My day was fairly ordinary. I met a friend, I folded laundry and in the morning I had a teacher parent conference for my middle son. I got gas for the car, saved a newspaper article requested by a friend and made all my kids practice their instruments.

In an instant, as has happened too many times to too many friends, a car crashes. A lump is found cancerous. An irreparable tear pulls apart to who thought they would be there until death do they part.

So far, for me? Not today.

I finally pulled the cats away from too close to the fireplace. The ziti is in the oven and about to come out. Everyone is done with their homework.

If my world ends this moment? I'm safe. My kids are safe.

Not the 18,000 in CA.

4 Comments:

Blogger Judith B said...

I truly hope the national outrage will have an effect. Perhaps they went too far this year.

And I've had cats lay so close to the heat for so long that their fur was too hot to touch. They're strange creatures. And we have 2 dogs that burrow under blankets and heat themselves up.

Remember that there is a huge portion of the country is with you. We may lose these votes (we lost in Virginia 2 yrs ago, very narrowly), but we're close. Very close. We'll get there

8:37 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

And send a warm thought to Barbara and Robin Levine-Ritterman who I've read were just married in New Haven.

There's going to be a protest in Birmingham on Saturday. That's Birmingham ALABAMA. Whatever is going on at the Klatsch in Huntsville AL this Saturday, I'll be there.

And make sure the kittehs stay away from your floor registers. For nearly 10 years in Tulsa, all the air in our house was filtered through a dog. A very comfortable dog.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

life IS good for some of us. let's hope and pray that it will improve for others as well.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Nulaanne said...

Congrats on your marrage.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home