Saturday, November 08, 2008

Massachusetts Equality Under Attack?

“We’re much encouraged by the results in California, and there’s no doubt in our minds, had ,” said Kris Mineau, president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, which opposes gay marriage.

Yes, that is a Massachusetts based group. After failing on June 14th, 2007 to get their ballot to ban marriage equality here, they had previously slunk back into their holes to shed another layer of skin, I suppose.

Now they are back. Feeling bold, they dusted off all their old literature and are considering another run at making marriage between a "man and a woman" only here in Massachusetts.

While I am tempted to say, "Bring it on," as our esteemed President Bush did, I know better. It cost trillions more dollars with Bush's bravado, and I will not cost the LGBT one extra dollar necessary.

Honestly, like watching the raccoons that live in my back tree, I feel the need to live and let live. They are a tiny group of people that feed on main stream media's need to have "the other side's" point of view. They come out and make a mess of things but are mostly harmless.

Except when they are rabid. The raccoons are not. Kris Mineau, I'm afraid, is. If he thinks he could have changed the constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with a popularity vote, he hasn't read the document very closely.

It's simply bravado, not unlike Mr. Bush.

I am keenly aware though, that we must be vigilant to protect our victories and continue to push forward. We want a trans-inclusive civil rights bill passed this year in Massachusetts. We have the first same sex marriages taking place in Connecticut on Wednesday. We are close in Vermont, New York and New Jersey.

California was a huge loss for us not only in that a minorities rights was put up to a popularity vote and we lost but also because of the message it sends to the nutwings like Kris Mineau.

He thinks he could have won?

Perhaps he still believes in Santa, too.

We can laugh but we must remain vigilant. This is not to be taken lightly. Rights are free to give, and expensive to keep.

Massachusetts has always been Ground Zero for the right. Let's be sure they never win here.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Maybe y'all should consider some "preemptive" marches, rallies, protest and riots--and boycotts. That's what "real Americans" would do, isn't it?

You're sounding a bit more chipper, that's good. We're all having fun here in CA -- everyday is gay pride day (this week anyway).... tomorrow we take the Capitol! Monday it's back to City Hall.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

I'm so glad you're back up a little, Sara. If we'd won in California on Tuesday, they wouldn't have given up. Now they know we won't give up either.

I definitely recommend a preemptive march against those raccoons in your tree. Give 'em a branch, then they'll be in the chimney.
RACCOONS OUT! UNFAIR TO KITTEHS!
:)

12:21 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

At least people are finally starting to understand the inherent problem with "leaving it to the states." Civil rights are not a state-by-state issue, and they should NEVER be put up for a vote.

California was "Lord of the Flies," and we are Piggy.

There is a group organizing Nov. 15th rallies around the country called Join The Impact. Everyone, please help spread the word.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

lol... I let the raccoons live. they stay out of my garbage.

usually.

I am "up." well, actually I'm mad again and when I'm mad, I'm good.

fired up and ready to fight.

8:41 AM  
Blogger In_Flight said...

Oh god. Maybe they're trying to use the recent defeat in CA as a launching pad. Whatever the case, I'm sure the people of Mass. are so sick of the debate.

Maybe that will work in our favor.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I've been thinking about this a lot and just recently I've come to the conclusion that many, many people are just not educated on what gay rights are and when presented with an amendment on a ballot that says what they just assume is correct- that marriage is between one man and one woman- they just say, "Yeah. That's right."
I know here in Florida they're saying that the larger turn-out of black and hispanic voters, who tend to be more religious, were a big part of our Prop 2 passing.
People see this as a religious issue (which we shouldn't be voting on anyway, but that's beside the point) instead of a civil rights issue.
I believe we need calm, rational education as well as out-in-the-streets marching.
Change by example?
Anyway, that's what I'm thinking.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, change by example is why I write this blog.

I'm just a suburban mom.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

"I am "up." well, actually I'm mad again and when I'm mad, I'm good."

Damn right. If you've got a direction you'd like to point me, give me a holler.

P.s., on the Christian groups on fb, which I joined to troll and get kicked out of but ended up making some friends and staying, I'm actually getting some traction. Some of them know they fucked up on marriage equality. Mind you, some of them are still posting screeds about Obama's birth certificate, but I've got some hope for some of them.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Sara- that is exactly what I meant.

2:52 PM  
Blogger The Daily Dallas Lesbian said...

I will be at Dallas' "Invalidate Prop 8" rally this weekend (That's Saturday at 12:30 at city hall for anyone reading from the area!)

I am looking forward to carrying my "When do I get to vote on YOUR marriage?" sign!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

watch the clip I just posted.

it really... truly... says it all.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home