Thursday, November 06, 2008

They are Marching in the Streets



I asked for this and it's happened.

In San Francisco, in West Hollywood, in Los Angeles and soon in San Diego, night after night, they have been marching.

Thousands of people holding their No on 8 Signs, politicians, activists have taken to the microphones and made speeches vowing to fight, and fight and fight until we take back the constitution and eliminate discrimination.

Yesterday, they stopped issuing marriage licenses for same sex couples.

In turn? We took to the streets. Marching, shouting, listening to speeches, filling public spaces with our anguish.

Our despair at being treated like garbage for too long. For the hate crimes, for the job discrimination, for the loss of housing- all because of who we love. Gay, straight, Trans, bisexual, Black, White, Asian, Latino, old, poor, young- because half the people voted with us and half the people are all those things.

It is not a time to point fingers at other minorities. It is time to reach out and ask for their help. Because we are their long lost sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers.

And they are us. They face the same uphill battle. The same loss of rights and hate crimes. Those invested in keeping LGBT people out are invested in keeping all of us out.

A friend of mine is still out there. I'm not sure he'll come back. He's young, single and the moment in history is now. I believe he will stay to be a part of it. I'm proud of him.

We have finally come back to our roots- protests. Peaceful protests.

With thousands in the streets.

We will win because in this country, everyone values equality.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Ah sweetie. You are not fighting alone.

http://blessourhearts.blogspot.com/2008/11/and-now-word-from-our-sponser.html

10:32 PM  
Blogger Seda said...

That is an inspiring post. Thank you, Sara, I needed it. I'm with you. I'm with all the LGBT people in California. With all minorities in their struggles for equality. We've got your backs.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if anyone thinks we will just quietly go back into our closets, they are sadly mistaken!

i will not look to blame others, but i have to admit it saddens me to see so many that had to fight for equality, were willing to leave us behind. they seem to have very short memories!

4:08 AM  
Blogger The Daily Dallas Lesbian said...

I cannot believe the tax thing didn't cross my mind until Monday of this week... I have been looking forward to your blog a lot lately. Thanks for this one.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

you know, the whole mormon thing is kind of ironic.

I grew up in the heart of mormon land- not utah, but palmyra NY. where it began. some of my best pals were mormon in high school.

the idea that they, of all people, are defending "marriage" is a painfully ironic joke, don't you think?

9:08 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I had no idea till I saw the sign in your picture and then some articles. If i hadn't already pretty much left the church I sure as hell would have after this. I have been waiting for a push to send that final letter to the church having my name removed from the rolls and this was the shove. Nobody should be allowed to impose their views or feelings on an issue that is a done deal such as equal rights under the law. Thanks again for yet another light bulb. love ya
ttfn

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home