Monday, December 08, 2008

I Am An American

I have spent much of my life as a victim. As a lesbian, as a woman, I have been a victim of hate, of violence, of job discrimination.

I'm done. I don't want to be the other. I don't want to be on one side while the rest of the world, divided by what often feels like an arbitrary line, sits on the other.

I am an American. I am responsible for three kids, my wife- my family. I love them and it is my job to take good care of them- the best care of them I possibly can. I pay taxes and a mortgage. In order to do that, I need to be an excellent employee, work hard, put in my best effort.

I am motivated by being a good role model for my children. I need to support them emotionally, and provide the best education possible. My marriage, more than just our community wrapped around our relationship, keeps us intact. It provides laws to do so, too.

Marriage is good for society. It keeps families whole and provides safety nets- especially for children. It has for a long time. It will continue to for a long time.

I'm not looking for any special treatment- except on my birthday, when I love my kids waking me up at the crack of dawn to provide me a "leisurely" breakfast in bed. I don't except to pay less for gas, or to have a special line to get past airport security faster than anyone else.

Most of all, I don't want pity. I am stronger than most people. I can haul wood or groceries or laundry endless distances. I can stay up all night and rub a sick child's back until they can fall back asleep again. I can cook dinner for my family every night or for 50 people on Superbowl Sunday.

I can hold unbearable past experiences and still breathe in the joy of my life today.

I am a good friend. I care deeply about my neighbors, my community, my country. I donate my time, my money to help better the world.

I am not on the other side. I am not a tiny piece of a small fragment in this country.

Don't ever feel sorry for me.

Let me have the full responsibility of being an American. Because we deserve an American workforce free of discrimination, we deserve the strongest military in the world and every child in this country deserves a family.

I am an asset to this society. Let us all erase the lines of Us and Them. Think of what we can do if we do it together.

I want excellence. Don't we all?

14 Comments:

Blogger Suzy said...

Well said.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Monique Mendoza said...

I think if I met you I would just adore you because I get so excited by everything you write.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very good post! i am very glad i know you!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

youve come a long way since singing in the tree. Love you your my american idol.
ttfn

6:59 AM  
Blogger Sue J said...

After we met you the other night, Unnamed Partner said "I bet she's a really good mom."

You're part of the fabric that holds our society together.

(We also think you are adorable!)

8:45 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

it was the cowboy boots, huh?

9:04 AM  
Blogger Deb Rox said...

Yes!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you bet it was the boots...

I had visual of you hauling a massive load of laundry along the beach... lol!
Then - your piece made me cry.

XXX

UP

12:03 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

Glad to see this is up at teh HuffPo, too!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Judith B said...

yes, nicely done. BTW, Donna Rose posted on her blog: Newsweek's cover story this week is "The Religious Case For Gay Marriage". This after their gender issue several months back. I think discussions like this in mainstream forums are what will get us ahead and more accepted. Take care, sorry we couldn't have provided better weather for your visit to DC. We'll try harder next time. ;-)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

You Go Girl!!!

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*standing ovation*

Sara, Im so glad I stumbled upon your blog.

You always manage to make me think, cry, laugh and be proud.....

8:41 AM  
Blogger Seda said...

Great post. Thank you, Sara. You rock!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

I don't feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for anybody who threatens you or your wife or kids.

What ai really feel sorry or are people who aren't here in America with us and are off in their frightened little enclaves in some smaller, worse country

We've got a great and good country here. I hope the people in that other, worse country wake up and realize they're a step, a smile away from America and just need to take that step, give that smile to join us in our shared future.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home