Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Good to Go

Jake has discovered toilet paper.

And soap.

Now, this is a good thing, for the most part. It's meant a lot of running around with the plunger but I'm glad things are getting cleaned up. At least I can't imagine they are not getting cleaned up with the amount of toilet paper he's going through in a single sit.

It's a proud moment for a mother. You can hound kids forever but they will finally do what they are going to do when they are ready to do it.

Yesterday, he came out of the bathroom and showed me his hands.

Look, Mom. I washed them!

Very good.

When I went into the bathroom, I found he had washed them with approximately half a bottle of the hand soap. Soap was all over. But his hands were very clean, no question.

We may very well be changing the definition of family in some people's eyes, crumbling the very bedrock of society in others. I'm tired of arguing the point.

But I can say with confidence, everyone has clean hands. And... uh... everything else.

Good to go.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a giant step for him! i remember that toilet paper fuss with jake and allan and walter at my house during dad's camp!

maybe you should switch to bar soap in the bathroom until he learns how to wash without pumping over and over again! not as much fun in rubbing the bar as there is in watching the soap squirt all over the place.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TMI!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

way too much information. but ... it was an important moment. and I honestly think about all the crap about our families, how horrible we are to the world and ... well... we're all just trying to teach our kids basically the same things.

wash your hands.

use toilet paper- not too much. but enough.

brush your teeth.

and put the seat down.

is that all that earth shattering?

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember when the kids started flushing the toilet without me hounding them!
I was THRILLED!!!!!

...proud times indeed!!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home