Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day

Today is a snow day. Well, half a snow day. Before a flake fell, the schools were to be closed at noon today. As a stay at home mom, I find that ridiculous. First, no snow had fell. Radar, forecasts... whatever. The kids need school.

Especially on Friday before a two week break.

Oddly, my lovely wife has not come home yet. She, upon hearing that I had more children in the house than I started with this morning, decided that she would stop and do some Christmas shopping on the way home.

Hmm. Sounds suspicious to me. That was hours ago. I think I'll call- from the basement where she can't hear the children- and say everyone has gone home. I bet she shows up five minutes later.

I was accused by a friend of having "27 kids." Please. It really depends on which day of the week it is. Another asked how many pounds of meat I was getting for dinner tonight- you know, I can't help it that I feed a small army. Let's just say, a lot.

I didn't quite anticipate the massive food needs, though, and gave Jeanine a list to get at the store. Milk, bread, Valium...

that would be for me.

It is fascinating to me that while they will all go out and throw snow at each other, roll in it, play in it, they won't shovel it. I mean, why not dump a shovelful on your pal? Just off the walk, please.

Actually, I do love a snow storm. I was out playing with the very large snow blower that the four houses on our shared driveway pitch in and use. Kind of pitch in and use. Okay, basically, I use it and everyone occasionally tosses me a few bucks for gas.

I pumped up the tires, checked the oil and started it up. The sweet smell of greenhouse gases filling the garage.

I also pull out my Carhartts. Yes, I do have them. The overalls, the jacket. Jeanine says I look stupid in them but, hey, I'm warm. And she doesn't have to snow blow the driveway.

Until the fifth storm of the year and then I'm grumpy and get mad that no one else has helped.

I'm certain I just heard the Christmas tree fall over. It's time to heard the children back outside.

Enjoy the snow today! And if you don't have any? don't tell me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzy said...

same here they canceled school at 530am in antisipation of the storm and they guessed right. By 10 this morning we had a foot of snow and by 2 driving home from work was interesting.
Stay warm, stay safe.
ttfn

6:25 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Wrt the tree: any Christmas tree that doesn't at one time or another during the season have a cat in it isn't nearly attractive enough.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I say how much I miss all that cold and snow?

NOT!!!!

Been in the mid 70's the last few days, 82 today, although the locals say it is unseasonably warm. Lovin it!!!!

No doubt it will be 40 by the time you get here.

Counting the days till I get to see My Seester!!!!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

The idea of living where it snows is like the idea of living where lava flows. Or something. Alien.
But it's nice to read about it.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm a wee bit sore from all the shoveling today but it is lovely outside.

and I have no intention of living in the snow when I'm over 60. I'll visit it. I'll look at it on the TV. but I will not live in it.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home