Friday, May 22, 2009

Home Again

I came home a couple days early. I missed my family. My family missed me. Jeanine asked and I willingly made it home in time for Zachary and Jake's baseball games.

It feels great to be home.

All of my time away was not spent going through gruesome moments of the past. I also spent a great deal of time reflecting on what I'm doing now.

And... um... painting the garage. It was driving me crazy.

There were a couple of interesting things that I realized, without really trying.... one was that I ate almost no meat the whole time I was away. Little chicken, little bacon, some eggs, but no beef at all. I didn't miss it and to be honest, I'm not sure I like it all that much. Donald inspired me with his Pad Thai- it was very good.

I didn't miss reading the newspaper but I did miss doing the crossword puzzle.

My children are capable of putting away all their laundry, putting their dishes in the dishwasher, but the minute I walk in the door, they can't make their own lunches for school.

This, I don't mind so much. I do like making lunches- shhh. Don't tell anyone.

My life is very full. I spent too much time chasing news and not enough time with my friends. Every day, I am going to dedicate a couple hours to something that has nothing to do with the computer. Take a walk, shoot some pictures, try a new recipe, have coffee with someone who doesn't want a donation.


Which I also remembered while away, some very important advice my mother always gave me. When you start to believe you are the smartest, most beautiful in the room, instead of understanding you are writing the checks? It's time for a kick in the pants. I know a few people who need a kick in the pants.

When I take long periods of time, write, rewrite, I come up with some decent writing. When I blog quickly, I come up with ok stuff. I need to spend more time, more deeply, more thoughtfully on my writing.

But I do love to blog- which I realize is an entirely different animal. This blog has served me well. I have loved writing it. I have a fairly small audience but a very loyal one.

Thank you.

I've decided to start posting, primarily, at Bilerico.com. I will continue to post on occasion at Huffington, and have been told to consider a Daily Kos diary. I'm not sure how I'll deal with not getting the instant gratification of "publish post" so we will consider this summer an experiment. I think it's the right fit for me. I will still respond to comments, just as I always have.

I hope you don't mind following me there. I will, for a while, post a link here to the piece on Bilerico, so the RSS feed with continue to work.

I feel calmer, more confident, and more settled than I have for a long time. I think I've addressed all the different "voices" and their needs. The General feels productive, the Athlete thinks it might get some work outs in during the non computer time, the Worrier is.. well, worried you'll all stop reading, and while the Tough Guy still wants simply blow everything off, the summer filled with the beach, kids, and friends isn't such a bad idea.

I'm home.

I'm really home.

8 Comments:

Anonymous donald said...

and what about the sot? hope she is not telling you to give up the wine or vodka!! LOL

does this mean you are going to stop posting here?

i actually inspired you with something? do you want the pad thai recipe, it is easy!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

I always follow your writing on bilerico and your notes on fb, and if you get a diary at kos I'll follow you there too. I've sent links to some of your posts to friends in England, Canada, and Australia. I'm sure others have too. You've got way more reach than you think.

Just try to get rid of us loyal, if somewhat obtuse and creepy, fans. We want what's best for you. If your next step takes you to a monastery or whatever, we'll be thinking about you and wishing you well.

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Bil Browning said...

I wanted to pop over here instead of just commenting on Bilerico. Sara, your fans and readers are obviously welcome at Bilerico Project.

But I wanted to make sure all of them knew how honored we were that you would deign to make Bilerico your blog home. We love you just as much as your readers do.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

You know we will follow you wherever you end up. I think it's a great idea!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

If you stop posting on Blogger, does that mean we don't get free cake any more?

11:10 PM  
Anonymous lez zorba said...

I'll have coffee with you... wouldn't even think donation. In fact, I'll pay!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

where you lead I will follow anywhere any where you go sorry broke into song there.:)

10:52 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
kd 11
supreme clothing
nike shoes
supreme hoodie
supreme hoodie
hogan outlet
yeezy boost 350 v2
hermes handbags
timberlands

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home