Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Headed to DC

I am honored, humbled, to have been invited to witness the President signing the Hate Crimes Bill. This is the first, the very first, piece of legislation to be signed into law that includes TRANSGENDER.

Truly honored.

My kids... well... I told them, I'm going to the white house, guys.

They look puzzled.

How long you gone for? asked Jake.

Till Thursday.

They all looked at each other and yelled, TACOS!!!

Hmmm.

There is much still to be done. This is a significant historic step, but only a step. It benefits me if I'm dead or beaten. I want to change the way society views us, all of us, so senseless beatings, brutal attacks based on angry stereotypes end.

I don't expect it all to end. Lynchings still happen. But when they do, there is horror in the reporting, not just on the back page, crammed between sales ads.

I want more. I want an inclusive ENDA, I want an end to DADT, I want my marriage in Massachusetts recognized by the federal government.

I want life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Just as clearly, and without question, as my boys want tacos.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Oh Sara. This is so cool. Thank-you for all the work you do. Thank-you. Enjoy being there for that historic moment. I am so proud of you.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

you sure have a case of the "i wants"!!

well, i want you to enjoy yourself in DC and be proud of the work you do, savor the moment!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

Wow Sara! Congrats on the invitation! I wish I could witness something so amazing. I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I just wish I could tell my mom...

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

You know, everyone has their priorities!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

well, I hate tacos so they only get them when I'm not home.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

You are so not a lesbian.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

@Morgan, ROFLMAO!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

I'm so proud. Congratulations! I'll try my hardest to tune in this evening.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home