Wednesday, January 20, 2010

As Good As it Gets

It really is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

I can't shake the feeling of being cornered right now. My little safe state is no longer what I thought it was. Where to go?

Ok, I really was thinking about Costa Rica. Alas, they have crummy LGBT rights, too. Then I think, damn, might as well move to Florida and be near Jeanine's family. Maybe I'll go sell insurance after all. (Her sister owns an insurance business where the whole family works.)

Not such a bad thing. The weather is warmer, and if I'm going to be represented by idiots, might as well have the sun. Charlie Crist is a gay man, after all. Sure, a big ol' closeted one but we all know he's queer. My marriage license won't travel but I spent almost 14 years without one.

There is no where to go. Iowa has it's own issues. Vermont is colder with more snow. New Hampshire is too scary with all those guns around. Connecticut? I don't like white wine spritzers.

Maybe I'll just go out and get a new cat. Distract myself from feeling so miserable about the future. I can see it all now- 2010 elections will be a blood bath. People will beg for donations to political candidates and the same damn thing will happen- we'll lose. Then the Presidential campaign will heat up, more demands, more panic, more running around trying to get people to understand basic economics- No, Obama did not create this. Bush did.

No one will remember anything more than their last VISA card payment.

The Republicans will anoint Scott Brown savior of the Grand Old Party and elect him to run against Obama. I'm not sure a new kitten can quite wash away the future image of Brown as President, Massachusetts native son- another wad of spit on the Kennedy legacy.

I know, I know. We're all suppose to be revved up and ready to go. Brown only has two years in this seat. It's not any better anywhere else. No where else do I have my wonderful friends all around me.

Blah blah blah.

My instinct is to run. Find somewhere safe.

What I realize is... this is as good as it gets.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I don't know if this is as good as it gets. We always say that, but then I read things about oh, say, Holland, and I think- hmmmm.
Of course, the weather there sucks.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

They're on a roll now...It is illegal for same sex couples to marry in Indiana. It was illegal yesterday and it will be illegal tomorrow. Just in case though, the Indiana Senate Judiciary Committee passed Senate Joint Resolution 13 (Definition of Marriage)today for a full Senate vote. For the past four years, resolutions as such never made it out of committee. See why go to Costa Rica when you can come here.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Morgan said...

Oh, and Florida? Remember to buy property in the center of the state. With Global Warming, it will be the beach front in a few years.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

see? just stay put. dig a big hole in the sand. stick head in.

although holland is nice, the weather does suck.

france...

no. spain. there you have it.

oh, wait. it's very expensive.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

We have some friends in Nepal we're thinking of visiting next year:

Nepal charter to grant gay rights

Yes. Nepal. More civilized than your state or mine ....

7:50 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

Anywhere in the Midwest, in the Winter there's nothing between you and the North Pole but some farmer in manitoba's barb wire fence. in the Summer there's nothing but empty space between you and the surface of the Sun. Trees? They're probably illegal.

Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi: Just. Don't.

In the UK not only are they LGBT friendly, everybody is amazingly polite. But the cost of everything is pounds for dollars or worse. Scandinavia: great in Summer, but in Winter everybody participates in the only thing you can do: drinking and vomiting. When the Spring arrives, everybody realizes the whole thing is starting over again and they kill themselves.

Monterey CA: the most beautiful place on Earth, but half the people hate you. pasadena: very LGBT friendly, super nice, walkable, but there's no place to park even at the grocery store.

NoCal: the traffic on the 101 is hideous at 3 in the morning.

The Pacific Nortwwest: drizzle drizzle drizzle drizzle. The state flower is mildew.

Guns aren't lawful, nooses give, gas smells awful, might as well live.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, I love my Dorothy Parker...

No, I'm not leaving.

Maybe I'll run for Senate. I mean, if Scott Brown can do it? Why not me?

ooops, I inhaled. quite happily, mind you. I believe pot should be legal- packaged and taxed, baby. haven't posed nude- perhaps I should. I can go get a truck, although I think my hybrid speaks more of me. I can pose nude in a truck.

HMMMMM

7:27 AM  
Blogger Tim and Louie said...

Canada certainly seems more progressive than the USA, especially for LGBT.

If only we could handle the cold weather!!!

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home