Monday, January 25, 2010

So Many Endings



What a week. Not only did naked frat boy win in MA, not only did the Supreme Court just open the floodgates for corporate giving to political campaigns...

Buster died.

Buster was Allan's dog. The kids always thought of him as their "other" dog. Two moms, two dads, two cats and two dogs. Except now one of the cats is gone and so is Buster.

The thing about Buster, who was a little dog with big attitude, was his penis was always sticking out. I guess that would make Buster a very happy dog, on all occasions. He was a one person dog, and that person was Allan. Sure, others could take care of him but... if Allan was in the room, Buster was with him.

Buster had started his life as Allan's moms dog. When she died, Allan took the dog. To say Buster was spoiled is to say it's kinda warm on the sun. Even I fed the dog at the table. Everyone thought he was a puppy, because he was so small, but he was actually a snarly old man. He liked very few people- I was one of the lucky few.

Zachary spent all his years trying to get that dog to like him. Buster never did. He would nip at Zachary's face any chance he got. For years I tried to explain to Zachary that Buster was the kind of dog you had to let come to you.

Didn't happen.

Over the last few years, we (friends of Allan) all knew that when Buster went, Allan would be devastated. He was his last connection to his mom. And he was a constant companion to Allan. He was there for every baseball game, soccer game- I think of all the times in the future Allan is going to have to say Buster is gone... so many.

I worry about what will happen with Allan. I think this is going to set off some life changing events for him.

In the meantime, democracy as we know it is gone. It doesn't really matter who we elect anymore. I'll write more about that later. For now, I'm going to look up some pictures of Buster.

So many endings. I wish I had a crystal ball to understand it all.

7 Comments:

Anonymous morgan said...

My condolences to all who Buster loved and to all who loved Buster.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Jeffrey Barhite said...

My heart goes out to Alan and to Buster...

1:08 PM  
Anonymous donald said...

it was a sad day for sure, i always dreaded getting that call from allan. we have lost many friends and family members together over the many years we have been friends, and i know allan will be fine in time. i am all packed and just a phone call away if he needs company.

we need a funny story about buster about now. since you brought up the penis thing, remember, the only thing that would put that thing away was the cold downeast water!! if you put him the water here, you wouldn't see that thing for days! i think you even did a blog post about that some time ago.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

I am so sorry for Allan. He must be devastated. We, too, have a dog named Buster and he is Mr. Moon's dog. No matter what I do (feed him), his true love is Mr. Moon. He will stand at the door which he knows my husband is behind and whimper. He will sit on his lap and put his arms (legs?) on Mr. Moon's shoulders and gaze away into the distance.
His penis rarely sticks out.
And I would so much rather talk about dogs and the people they love than the the Supreme Court.
Allan- if you are reading this, please know that I feel great sorrow for your loss. And I do mean that.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Sue J said...

It's so hard to lose these little friends, no matter how old they are or how "expected" it may be. It sounds like Buster had a wonderful life with Allan. I'm really glad you all told us some funny stories about Buster -- he seems like the kind of dog that would try to make you smile if you seemed sad ... he'd be happy you did that. Rest in peace, little guy.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Nigel said...

My partner and I have two dogs: Willow's thirteen and Millie's just gone ten. Being a same-sex couple we don't have any children (not that same-sex couples can't have children, of course) these two are pretty special to us. It's only in the last year that Willow's started to show her age. When she goes, well, it's going to be a hard few months. I know someone who's going to be particularly devastated...

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Heidi said...

As you know, I too inherited a dog when my mom became ill. Maggie was very loyal to both Edmundo and I. Edmundo loved her; he would look in her eyes and tell her so. After being with us about 10 years, she became too sick to continue. Making the decision to let her go, despite knowing it was the humane thing to do was horrendous. Edmundo cried. He hadn’t done this at other big moments, human deaths, births of our children, marital spats. There is some unique bond which evolves through not speaking. Of course Maggie understood many things, but most interaction was quiet. Walking, eating, rubbing… sleeping. It’s strong. We are a few years out and still not ready for that heartbreak again. We will get there. It will take the meeting of eyes and the pulling of heartstrings.
I wish comfort in Buster’s new journey. He and Maggie are walking through the big arboretum in the sky!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home