Friday, April 09, 2010

Sacrifice

Sacrifice. I have had my attention drawn to sacrifice recently.

As a parent, I know sacrifice. I no longer get to do what I want, when I want. There are a few delicious times when without children and without responsibility, I can indulge in things such as eating when I want, what I want, watching a television program on TV without considering the content, and sleeping in.

Ahhh.

Obama passed a historic health care bill. Much sacrifice went into passing that bill. When I saw the opening of previously closed areas for off shore drilling, I knew it was about the health care bill. You do this, I'll do that. Many, many deals were made along the way. The risks were high, and it will take years to know if it was worth it or not.

I know sacrifice in terms of having kids. I knew my life would change but I had no idea how my life would change and to the extent it would. I cannot miss a presentation or a conference. I cannot take off for a week without extensive planning and even then, there are ramifications when I get home.

Like enormous piles of laundry and annoyed children who do not understand why I was away.

I do not ride a motorcycle, even though I'd like to, nor do I bungee jump or do anything that involves great risk to my health. I am up by 7AM most days, making lunch for Jake, sometimes taking the harp to school. I spend an insane amount of time in the car driving from place to place, to make sure the kids get to music lessons, tutors, and fun activities. When someone is sick, I simply cancel everything and stay home with them.

Nothing to be done. It is what it is.

The Obama administration, I believe, did the same. But where children are by nature, and quite appropriately in need, the legislators were greedy pigs that knew they had him in a tight spot. It was not about what was right for the people, or what was in fact a historical effort, but a time to get goodies.

Keep a keen eye on what happens with the banking regulations as the overhaul goes through Congress. I'm certain deals were made there, too.

I know sacrificing for my children is completely and totally worthwhile. I would have it no other way. I hope the same is true for Obama.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Bob said...

One bit of poetic revenge, courtesy of Wonkette. The states that will get their shorelines screwed up are all red states.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home