Friday, August 27, 2010

The Birds

Back when I was in college, I was a waitress for the school's catering company. It was good money and free food. When you lived off campus, free food was key because no one ever spent money on food- only beer and bar hopping.

If it were a particularly fancy dinner, with a small number of people, there was no guarantee there would be leftovers. Thus a few of the guys I worked with would actually finish the food off the plates as they came back into the kitchen.

They called it "seagulling." The act of snatching food like a seagull before the plate scraps were dumped in the trash. I called it gross.

Yesterday, poor Jake learned the real act of seagulling from a seagull.



Look closely in the photo and you see not only is Jake's hot dog wrapper empty, but the seagull behind him is enjoying it.

Poor baby.

The seagull? Well, I got the wax paper away from it but the dog was gone. The offender taunted us for the rest of the day by the smear of ketchup on it's beak.

Ouch.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

My friend Kathleen says that seagulls' cries mean, "Mine, mine, mine!"

9:13 AM  
Anonymous donald said...

they are nothing but ocean rats!!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

actually, ben just called me a beach rat. he's jealous because I'm tanner than he is.

funny that- I use 50 sunscreen and he uses tanning oil.

hmmm.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Rena said...

funny! okay, not to him, but that photo is priceless

7:22 PM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

School haircut too. Now you no longer have 2 kids and an enormous pile of hair.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home