Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Election Day

As I am way too often required to do, I was sitting filling out forms today. Of course, the after school program that Jake goes to had me because today was his first day and if I didn't fill them out by 12:30pm? No after school.

I was there at 12:10pm furiously filling them out.

After school is essential for anyone who works. Elementary School lets out at 3pm, and on Tuesdays? 12:30pm here in Newton. The program Jake goes to is in the school itself and it makes life a whole lot easier.

Poor Kindergarten parents go from full time day care to three half days a week, two full days, but not until October. It's a nightmare. Just when you think someone else is finally in charge of your kid- for free as it's a public school- the reality hones in and you gotta make more plans than you ever imagined. I know. I was working while Jake was in kindergarten.

I was also incredibly lucky to work at a very flexible workplace.

As I sat and filled out my forms, the staff were talking about what to do with the kids today. How about we do something about voting, one twenty something woman said- no, she's new and I do not know her name. Staff at these programs shift so quickly, it's hard to keep up. They are paid almost nothing and given the greatest responsibility- our kids.

That's another rant, not today.

Voting? another twentyish staff member said.

It's a voting day, that's why we don't have the gym, said the head of the program.

Confused looks. I said, because I cannot help myself, It's the primaries. We are electing who runs against each other in November. Only in Massachusetts, it's sometimes the election because there are not many Republicans here.

It's an important day. Not every state has the same kind of bias towards a single party. Can't complain if you don't vote.

A moment passed. I could tell they were a little embarrassed and a little scared of this big dyke filling out her forms.

Finally, the first woman said, Let's have the kids vote on something.

I don't know... said the second, will they even understand?

Um, I said, my son does. He can't help but know because I work in politics. But I think you'd be surprised... these kids have pretty active parents.

I know! Pizza or Spaghetti!

What are their favorite TV shows?

Maybe they could vote on...

And the energy was there.

I doubt any of the staff voted. The kids did but Jake cannot remember what they voted on because he was more interested in hanging with his pal. I don't know how the elections will turn out today here in Massachusetts.

Just remember- you can't bitch if you don't vote.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rena said...

My daughter usually comes with me to the polls. She doesn't really get what exactly I'm voting for, but she does understand it's important.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Rev. Bob said...

You aren't a great big lesbian, you're a little bitty lesbian. The boys, on the other hand, are gonna be huge.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Joey said, "I'll come in to vote with you, if I can get a cookie in there." But he came in anyways, even though there were no cookies, and looked interested in each circle I filled in. My sense is he can't wait to vote! I think voting in aftercare is a great idea.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Estridge said...

For some reason, this made me think of David Sedaris's story of voting for Richard Nixon because he went into the voting booth with his mother and she let him choose.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

jainbin0926
fitflop clearance
true religion outlet
cheap uggs
michael kors outlet
nike free run
coach outlet clearance
beats by dre
chicago blackhawks
ugg sale
polo pas cher

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home